The Hunters

Started by Nefaro, November 18, 2013, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Evidently GMT uses your Order # as a shipping reference number with UPS. 

So if you had yours shipped via OOPS-Man, you can use the "Track By Reference" tab on their website tracker.  Enter your GMT order number from you account page there, narrow down the shipping dates to December, and enter your destination zip code and it should narrow it down enough to find yours (if it shipped).

Turns out mine was shipped Friday and won't be here until Thursday (probably dark evening).  ;)  Considering I was in the last of the bunch to be shipped, I'd expect many of you to have it by then, or earlier.

Nefaro

Mine just showed up this afternoon.

Oddly enough, the 'OOPS-Man' seems to be running more efficiently than they were 2 weeks ago, in my area.

GJK

Good to know that UPS is bringing it; wasn't sure if it would be UPS or USPS (or FedEx).  Still no show here though somebody else in town got there's.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on December 18, 2013, 08:31:35 PM
Good to know that UPS is bringing it; wasn't sure if it would be UPS or USPS (or FedEx).  Still no show here though somebody else in town got there's.

I'm pretty sure they offered both options when you checked out. 

As I said, you can check the GMT order number for it on their website under your login.  Then enter that in UPS' tracking thing as detailed above to find out when yours should be arriving.  Or just sign up for the UPS thing that will show you everything currently coming to your home...

Since GMT evidentally doesn't notify about it's shipping with any regularity, I decided to check that way to make sure it was shipped.  Don't wanna be waiting for weeks only to find out that my order disappeared in the bustle.

As for the game it looks pretty spartan, with little embellishment, after playing Picket Duty recently (which has some wonderful artwork & components).   But it looks like fun and despite the length of the rulebook it looks pretty simple to learn.

Barthheart

Check out the user made playing surfaces posted on BGG.... they are really impressive!  :o

Nefaro

Yeah, someone put a lot of time into it.   Although it's too abnormally short & wide-looking for my tastes.

BanzaiCat

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've had my eye on the third printing of The Hunters for a while, now. It's only $31 for a P500 order. But, it's been at that status for a while and I cannot find any good information on whether or not GMT thinks it's going to 'make the cut.'

I only have a vague idea of how P500 works (I've never invested in one). I'd love to back this, but am not to sure about the wait time. One month? Ten months? I'm guessing that's impossible to determine as the publisher has to wait for X number of copies to be pre-ordered (500?) before sending it to print and shipping them out. Is that right?

Regardless, if anyone has heard anything new on this please post here. The newest threads I can find online are a few weeks old and don't posit anything regarding its status.

Barthheart

You are correct about the P500. No ones knows when or if the product will reach the magic number, which isn't alway 500... don't ask.  :P

It be days, it could be years.... but you don't actually get charged until it's actually shipping.

Great game. You should be able to find gently used copies of the previous editions.....

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Barth. My luck, I'll have $30 in the bank when they decide to move forward and charge me $31, so it'll end up costing me $61. Lol...

GJK

GMT games tend to linger much longer on their P500 than say MMP.  I've had the reprint of "Fields of Fire" on P500 for a couple of years now and it's met its number- they keep pushing back the print date on it.  I'm with Barthheart- I'd pick up a used copy as I don't think the 3rd printing is going to change/add anything (but I may be mistaken).  This guy has been trying to sell his (new) copy for a while now and it may still be available: 

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee7011b/81063
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

GMT's production schedule has been extremely backed up for awhile.

Their monthly (or bi-monthly?) newsletters have been talking about how backed up they are for the past year or more.  They reportedly just moved to a larger location.  But I get the secret impression that their manpower has also been overwhelmed, or there is too little being delegated.  Not enough decision-making people to keep many of their metaphorical production plates spinning at once??

As for The Hunters, it's enjoyable in short stretches.  I think the sequel, Silent Victory is a bit better.

Being a Reprint P500, GMT may give it the go-ahead if it doesn't quite make the 500 mark.  They've already done all the pre-production heavy lifting, therefore much of that extra cost doesn't need to be made up.  IIRC, they did this with some other reprint awhile back.

BanzaiCat

I guess I'm just wanting to know what their number is at right now. 100? 350? 499?

Makes sense that they'd just send a reprint order to the printer. I mean, as long as they make a profit on each of those $31 sales, and I'm sure they do if they do it in bulk, but less than that and who knows.

I've seen copies of The Hunters online but for a lot more than $31. I do like Silent Victory a lot, so if this is less of a game I might take it off my radar. I like the extras in SV, such as promotions, decorations, and so forth.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 12, 2016, 04:05:02 PM
I do like Silent Victory a lot, so if this is less of a game I might take it off my radar. I like the extras in SV, such as promotions, decorations, and so forth.

It's almost exactly like Silent Victory, but with the different (smaller) U-boats & North Atlantic of course.  But SV had some little improvements here & there, and better components, being the second in the series.

If you played one, you've pretty much played them both.

BanzaiCat

I saw it for a ridiculous amount on Amazon before...but as was said, those 3rd party sellers tend to really jack up the price.

If I can find it for cheap, I might go for it...I dunno. I have my hands full with SV right now.

DennisS

I have been playing The Hunters a LOT over this past week..enough to run through eight complete campaigns.

Two of my Kapitans have lasted the entire war, most, sadly, have not.

KPlt Friedrich Bader, this last campaign, have has the most remarkable run. Unprecedented, and inexpressibly odd and unusual that it borders on the Twilight Zone. Let me explain.

Starting in 9/39, before his sub (VIIB) was sunk in 7/42, he sank the following:
--232,200 tons of shipping.
--The CL Dauntless, the CA Sussex, the CVE Dasher, the CV's Hermes and Courageous, and the Battleship Hood. SIX!! capital ships.

I just kept rolling capital ships, in about every other mission. Just remarkable.