What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, July 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on April 06, 2015, 01:48:05 AMSo, in order to use the original base set stuff with the new co-op I would have to not only purchase the new standalone, but also two conversion packs?   ???

Sounds like that was their plan to get you to jump on the Kickstarter campaign.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 06, 2015, 05:17:49 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 06, 2015, 01:48:05 AMSo, in order to use the original base set stuff with the new co-op I would have to not only purchase the new standalone, but also two conversion packs?   ???

Sounds like that was their plan to get you to jump on the Kickstarter campaign.

Must've been.

I'm not too concerned about jumping on the stuff when it comes out.  From what I've seen, they tend to keep this line stocked better than many game companies.  But when it comes to co-op titles, ya never know.  They're pretty popular.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on April 06, 2015, 01:48:05 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 05, 2015, 06:56:57 PM

I haven't had a chance to even dive into the rules yet, but I'll let you know once I've read through them. Everything is completely compatible with the earlier stuff no matter what way you play, BUT you're going to need the new cards. They tweaked the way that the standard game works (no more of that stupid loot board, for instance), cleaned up the status effects and got rid of a pile of them, and just generally cleaned everything up. They then back-ported the whole system into the old content, but you'd need the upgrade pack of Hero/Monster/Item cards. Nothing involved with the KS is KS exclusive, but they'll be an extra purchase for non KS buyers. You'd also need the upgrade pack to play co-op with the base content, since the cards provide the AI routines for the monsters if there's no overlord player controlling them.

You can see what the changes to the regular way of playing are by checking out the first post in this BGG thread.

The minis come completely built like they were for everything after the original base release.

Wow, that's a lot of good info.

So, in order to use the original base set stuff with the new co-op I would have to not only purchase the new standalone, but also two conversion packs?   ???

I'm not completely sure on what will be included in the FK box when it releases, and what will be available to buy (but was included as a KS stretch goal). I BELIEVE the upgrade deck is going to be a separate purchase, but I could be totally wrong. Of course, if that is the case, you might be able to simply buy the upgrade deck and try out co-op using only the original content. It might require a bit of rules hacking using the FK rulebook (which would be online by then) to reflect the status tweaks and the like to character abilities, but it could perhaps be possible as a cheap way to see if you like the co-op mode. It might also be worth checking out Ebay, since I guarantee some backers don't own any of the original stuff and will probably toss the decks up for resale.

AHA! I knew that I'd seen a text-only version of the new rule system! You can check it out here. Thisd is the Classic Overlord rule system only, but it shows what they've changed with that setup. The entire Adventure Tracker has been turfed.

It was supposed to hit retail this month, but the West Coast port strike knocked everything back by about 4 weeks, so May seems more likely for retail release at this point.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 06, 2015, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 06, 2015, 01:48:05 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 05, 2015, 06:56:57 PM

I haven't had a chance to even dive into the rules yet, but I'll let you know once I've read through them. Everything is completely compatible with the earlier stuff no matter what way you play, BUT you're going to need the new cards. They tweaked the way that the standard game works (no more of that stupid loot board, for instance), cleaned up the status effects and got rid of a pile of them, and just generally cleaned everything up. They then back-ported the whole system into the old content, but you'd need the upgrade pack of Hero/Monster/Item cards. Nothing involved with the KS is KS exclusive, but they'll be an extra purchase for non KS buyers. You'd also need the upgrade pack to play co-op with the base content, since the cards provide the AI routines for the monsters if there's no overlord player controlling them.

You can see what the changes to the regular way of playing are by checking out the first post in this BGG thread.

The minis come completely built like they were for everything after the original base release.

Wow, that's a lot of good info.

So, in order to use the original base set stuff with the new co-op I would have to not only purchase the new standalone, but also two conversion packs?   ???

I'm not completely sure on what will be included in the FK box when it releases, and what will be available to buy (but was included as a KS stretch goal). I BELIEVE the upgrade deck is going to be a separate purchase, but I could be totally wrong. Of course, if that is the case, you might be able to simply buy the upgrade deck and try out co-op using only the original content. It might require a bit of rules hacking using the FK rulebook (which would be online by then) to reflect the status tweaks and the like to character abilities, but it could perhaps be possible as a cheap way to see if you like the co-op mode. It might also be worth checking out Ebay, since I guarantee some backers don't own any of the original stuff and will probably toss the decks up for resale.

AHA! I knew that I'd seen a text-only version of the new rule system! You can check it out here. Thisd is the Classic Overlord rule system only, but it shows what they've changed with that setup. The entire Adventure Tracker has been turfed.

It was supposed to hit retail this month, but the West Coast port strike knocked everything back by about 4 weeks, so May seems more likely for retail release at this point.

I checked CSI's listings.  There is only one upgrade pack (for the cards) so that's not such a big deal.  Problem is that the price is not listed there and it's not available for Pre-Order unlike the Forgotten King set.  Their expected release date says April 24 for both so it won't be long no matter what.

I was under the impression that the Forgotten King standalone doesn't include the card replacements for the original stuff...?  Does just the Kickstarters come with the Upgrade Kit as an added bonus or something?  The rest of us proles have to purchase it separately, in addition to FK, I suppose.  I'm not averse to doing so, but if I can save a little money then that's always good. 

Dunno if I'd wait to scrounge Ebay for KS leftovers, however, if I plan on picking up FK after release anyway.  The original SDE is a nice and somewhat light "skirmish" style game, but I have quite a few of those competitive types that never get enough group playtime.  So getting the co-op, and being able to use all the previous stuff with it, is a nice upgrade that will give it more table time.

The damn dock strike set a lot of stuff back.  Even though it's been over for awhile now, shipments had been stuck sitting on the docks so long that they're still not caught up, last I read.  My KS reprint of Agents of Smersh should've showed up by now but for it.  The publisher chose to route it through different ports that weren't backed up (to the East Coast instead of West IIRC) so it will still take longer even avoiding that mess.   It's been pretty much the same reports from other Kickstarter/Pre-order stuff lately since nearly all of it is made in China and shipped to the west coast.

Arctic Blast

I ended up getting 2 boxes. One is the Forgotten King set, and the other is a separate box full of stretch goals. Everything in that second box will be available at retail, but they were thrown in as extras for no extra cash for KS backers.

Don't worry...I spent plenty on non-free extras that are still on the way... :o

So, in there I've got :

-Upgrade decks
-Arcade mode decks for base content and the extra warbands
-3 warbands worth of monsters (basically, one mini-boss and a small crew of standard monsters in each)
-A small collection of bonus heroes
-little 3D plastic heart tokens for health and potions
-One set of creeps (a new kind of monster. They're small and don't do much damage, but they slow you down and can neutralize equipment that you're carrying which matches their color. There will be a few different kinds available, each with a different color.)
-A colouring book. (Yes, really.)
-A big, heavy as Hell metal coin which could make for a fairly awesome first player token.

I had also completely forgotten that they've added skirmish play to the game, too. So every hero and monster has cards if you play that way which will also be included in the upgrade deck. Basically, you assemble a warband and take on a warband another player is using.

I really need to start sorting through all of this for real. I didn't get around to it this weekend.  ;D There are probably a bunch of other things which I've completely forgotten about. There's also a little deck of cards which...frankly, I don't know what the Hell it's for. Maybe those are the skirmish cards? I think I'm going to tuck into this tonight, so I'll post again later about what exactly is in the FK box and the pack of extras.

Arctic Blast

Okay, so there are standard mode and arcade mode cards for all of the monsters and bosses. As well, there is an Explore deck consisting of standard cards in every game, and boss specific cards that will get shuffled in depending on which of the 'big bads' you're going up against. There are also boss-specific treasure cards which get shuffled into that deck.

There are now a total of 7 statuses with tokens : Poison, Bane, Hex, Fire, Ice, Slow and Knockdown. They also seem pretty straightforward, and no more mass of status effects becoming obnoxious.

The only parts of the base material you'll keep are the dice, the figures and the boards. You could toss in your life and potion tokens, but the new ones look a bit different, and you really don't need both sets anyway. While the boards can be used, they look rather out of place. The new ones are much more vibrant and interesting...and they're also a bit smaller. In fact, the old ones won't even fit in the new boxes. So you're going to run into slight issues when trying to line them up with new boards.

The new models look fantastic...with one exception. One of the warbands is basically retread models from earlier material. While the mini-boss is new and pretty neat (Salt. He's basically a crystalline monster), the minions aren't all that great. There is some sort of dog monster which is just the Ember Hound redux, and the Sorrows are just re-branded Fire Gels. The only difference is that both 'new' creatures are now green figures instead of red ones.

I still haven't really had a chance to crack open either rulebook yet. Materials wise, I'm quite pleased with the game.

Nefaro

I believe the life and potion pieces you got in the KS are exculsives.  The little tiny plastic bits, right?  I watched an unboxing vid to see what was in the KS set.

From what I gather, all I would need is the FK set and the Upgrade Pack.  Although I do own VonDrakk Manor expansion, I believe the Upgrade Pack contains all the new version cards for all the earlier stuff. 

I'm a bit concerned about not being able to use the original boards for the 'Arcade Mode'.  I think there are some extra tile designation stuff to facilitate that co-op mode, printed directly on the new map boards.  I'm not as sold on the FK monster theme and heroes as much as the original stuff.  It's quality stuff but some of the theme is a bit flakier.  That's to be expected, I suppose.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on April 09, 2015, 10:44:09 AM
I believe the life and potion pieces you got in the KS are exculsives.  The little tiny plastic bits, right?  I watched an unboxing vid to see what was in the KS set.

From what I gather, all I would need is the FK set and the Upgrade Pack.  Although I do own VonDrakk Manor expansion, I believe the Upgrade Pack contains all the new version cards for all the earlier stuff. 

I'm a bit concerned about not being able to use the original boards for the 'Arcade Mode'.  I think there are some extra tile designation stuff to facilitate that co-op mode, printed directly on the new map boards.  I'm not as sold on the FK monster theme and heroes as much as the original stuff.  It's quality stuff but some of the theme is a bit flakier.  That's to be expected, I suppose.

There were a couple of tile packs in the KS that I added on. They'll be part of Wave 2. One was a set for the Von Drakk manor, which I'm looking forward to since playing that stuff in the stupid ember caves made absolutely no sense.  ::)

Anyway, there will be more tiles coming at some point. They were $20 a pop during the KS campaign, and each set also comes with a set of creeps.

Nefaro

Polis: Fight For The Hegemony game start.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2015, 03:14:40 PM

Solo?  I assume looking over the game it does not play well solo.

PE

ArizonaTank

On the table now:  Blood and Roses. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 16, 2015, 07:33:13 PM
On the table now:  Blood and Roses.

The jewelcase to your Smithereens CD?  :))
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Virtual tabletop (VASSAL): The Alamo is besieged!  It is February 26, 1836 (turn 5) of my pbem game of Texas Revolution. I am commanding Santa Anna's Imperial Army. 

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on April 16, 2015, 04:11:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2015, 03:14:40 PM

Solo?  I assume looking over the game it does not play well solo.

PE

It's a 2-player game with alternating turns.  Not the greatest solo game, of course.

Arctic Blast

Flash Point : Fire Rescue, as I play through some expansion stuff (Extreme Danger, 2nd Story and Honor & Duty expansions). Perhaps The Golden Ages, if I get the rules read. Same goes for Super Dungeon Explore in co-op mode.