Alternative to Honor Harrington Series

Started by OJsDad, January 19, 2015, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

thanks for that list Chris.

now lets talk about a proper HH fleet game on the pc.  >:(
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

airboy

or.... you could go back to the godfather of all: Hornblower.

Con

A couple fo years ago I stumbled on Space Captain Smith.  Its Terry Pratchett in a Victorian Steam Punk future where the Nazis are giant ants.  Very fun read and I highly recommend it.  Its the first in a three part series but they are all a quick read.  Lots of good jokes and puns throughout.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3406753-space-captain-smith

QuoteIn the 25th Century the British Space Empire faces the gathering menace of the evil ant-soldiers of the Ghast Empire hive, hell-bent on galactic domination and the extermination of all humanoid life. Isambard Smith is the square-jawed, courageous, and somewhat asinine new commander of the battle damaged light freighter John Pym, destined to take on the alien threat because nobody else is available. Together with his bold crew—a skull-collecting alien lunatic, an android pilot who is actually a fugitive sex toy, and a hamster called Gerald—he must collect new-age herbalist Rhianna Mitchell from the laid back New Francisco orbiter and bring her back to safety in the Empire. Straightforward enough—except the Ghasts want her too. If he is to get back to Blighty alive, Smith must defeat void sharks, a universe-weary android assassin, and John Gilead, psychopathic naval officer from the fanatically religious Republic of New Eden before facing his greatest enemy: a ruthless alien warlord with a very large behind.

Staggerwing

Quote from: airboy on February 12, 2015, 05:54:01 PM

In Spaaaaaace...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Quote from: airboy on February 12, 2015, 05:54:01 PM
A great series.  Since reading it for the first time last year (I think?), I've been contemplating picking up copies of the books for myself. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 20, 2015, 08:49:06 PM
The Human Reach series is some good military Scifi, two books in the series so far, Through Struggle the Stars and Desert of Stars.

I just finished "Through Struggle the Stars" and found it very satisfying. A great mix of realpolitik, real physics and a believable future direction for the human race. The Human Reach series postulates a realistic future in which Earth does not unite into a one-world government, but instead the great nations of Earth compete with one another to colonize nearby stars. The science is real, the politics are real, and the characters feel real. I'm starting the second book today and already wishing the third book was finished. Great recommendation, Airborne. Thanks!

GDS_Starfury

there are some well written Aurora AAR/fan fiction stories like that.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,60.0.html

the NATO vs Soviet campaign is fun.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 19, 2015, 08:32:01 AM
The Human Reach series is some good military Scifi, two books in the series so far, Through Struggle the Stars and Desert of Stars.

I just finished "Through Struggle the Stars" and found it very satisfying. A great mix of realpolitik, real physics and a believable future direction for the human race. The Human Reach series postulates a realistic future in which Earth does not unite into a one-world government, but instead the great nations of Earth compete with one another to colonize nearby stars. The science is real, the politics are real, and the characters feel real. I'm starting the second book today and already wishing the third book was finished. Great recommendation, Airborne. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait for the third book. If anything I thought the second was better than the first.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on February 20, 2015, 12:11:43 AM

Glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait for the third book. If anything I thought the second was better than the first.

I'm a third into the second book and agree completely. This is a great find on your part, thanks for sharing!

Nefaro

The Kindle versions are a total of $8 right now, so I joined the club.  O0

Pinetree

H. Paul Hosinger's  Man of War series is another Hornblower-inspired series. Excellent reads too. The first 2 books are currently less than a buck each:
To Honor You Call Us (Man of War Book 1) [Kindle Edition]
For Honor We Stand (Man of War Book 2) [Kindle Edition]
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."