Authors similiar to H.P Lovecraft?

Started by agrippamaxentius, August 21, 2015, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agrippamaxentius

So I am looking for anything to supplement my Lovecraft obsession. I recently discovered the essential lovecraft, and now ive read just about everything there is to read. In particular what interests me is the Dark Occult nature of the books, the Old Ones and Great Ones like Cthulu and Yog-Shoggoth are quite interesting celestial entities as well, but I also really enjoy the ocean resting place of Cthulu as a setting, so any fictional books about Megaladon or some other ancient Sea Creature stalking the waters of our modern world would also suffice. So I guess Occultism, Cults, Terrifying Creatures are in general the realms I am interested in xD.

Ive read all of Stephen King, I would consider some of his writing especially "The Dark Tower Series" somewhat Lovecraftian in scope. But that's about all the horror reading ive done. IT was my favorite, once again I think you can see the theme of the ancient evil that really interests me.

Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

eyebiter

besilarius

IIRC, Lovecraft's estate ended up with August Derleth.
He wrote a lot of material in the Cthulu mythos.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

agrippamaxentius

Thanks to both of you! Going to take a peek :D.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

MetalDog

It's my understanding that Lovecraft was not particular about who wrote stories in his 'world.'  It is also my understanding that there is a fair amount of Cthulu mythos running around by those who wrote in that world.  Who they are, and what they wrote, I could not tell you. 

On a similar note, there is a book (and a movie based on the book) called, The Serpent and the Rainbow about a Harvard professor's trip to Haiti to study Haitian Vodou and the making of zombies.  The movie was great.  Didn't read the book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Serpent_and_the_Rainbow_(book)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ubercat

China Mieville is really growing on me. There are some Cthulhu-like elements to his New Crobuzon books, which I inherited from my best friend. They take place in a huge, fantastic, steampunk world which combines science and magic in fascinating ways. There are many different races and definitely some powerful beings. In the book I'm reading now, an enormous undersea power is soon to be the target of an attempted summoning and controlling.

I recommend trying Perdido Street Station. It started a little bit slow, but didn't take long before I couldn't put it down. If you like that, keep going. I started out thinking "Ok, Tom really liked this so I should check it out." Now, halfway through my second Mieville book, I'm thinking "Damn, I'll read anything this guy writes!"
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

airboy

There is an ebook collection that I have titled (I think) Tales from the Cthulhu Mythos."

Baen Big Book of Monsters has a number of Cthulhu mythos like short stories.

And for a different, more action-packed view try "Monster Hunter International" by Correia which is free on Kindle and is simply awesome!