If you're interested in the Pacific Theater of WWII, this is your book

Started by crazydave1066, October 04, 2019, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydave1066

The Conquering Tide by Ian W. Toll is fantastic. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It has interesting personal accounts from real veterans of the war, which gives it a human element, while also remaining extremely informative. I feel I learned a lot about the war from it and was entertained by every page!

besilarius

Agree thoroughly.
Another good book on the later war in the Pacific is Pacific Thunder by Thomas Cleaver.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

ArizonaTank

++1 

I have the audible version...great stuff!!!

Also, highly recommend Ian Toll's companion volume. Pacific Crucible that deals with 41 - 42
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I finished this last week.  Good read.  Interesting decision to end the book after the fall of Saipan.

demjansk1942