Not digging Cornwell

Started by Toonces, August 10, 2012, 01:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

A couple of you guys have suggested Cornwell when I asked about historical fiction to complement M2TW.  Well, I didn't want to buy any of his books- I am desperately trying to curb my book purchasing- but shockingly enough I came across a few of his books at the Hickam library.  I had looked a couple of times and just missed them I guess.

At any rate, they didn't have The Last Kingdom but I have started reading two others: The Winter King and Agincourt

I read about a third of The Winter King and I've done 3/4 of Agincourt.  I have to be honest- I just am not enjoying either of them.  I won't go so far as to say that they're bad books but I find the writing very....vanilla.  I don't know how to describe it really.  It could be that I'm coming off of a stretch where I've been reading a lot of older, free literature on my Kindle (With Fire and Sword, Barbarossa: An Historical Novel of the XII Century, The Talisman, and so on) and that writing is much more complex.  Maybe the break from modern writing has affected my opinion.

Ultimately I'm a little disappointed with both of the Cornwell books and, truthfully, I don't think I'm going to finish them.  I've already moved on to a little H.P. Lovecraft (didn't care for it) and Dracula (gonna stick it out a bit longer).  I also have The Three Muskateers teed up.

Maybe I missed something, or maybe those two Cornwell books aren't his best, but he just didn't do it for me unfortunately.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

Winter King is part of his best series.  If you didn't like it, you aren't going to like his other works.  I enjoy his stuff but his series usually follow the same formula.  Fish out of water outsider/tough guy has to fight the establishment to prove himself.

If you want something a little more dense, check out Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series.  Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum might also suit.

bayonetbrant

For folks looking for some historical fiction, and a great read, and can't recommend Byzantium from Stephen Lawhead highly enough.  It is one of the most enjoyable stories I've ever read.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2012, 06:15:49 AM
For folks looking for some historical fiction, and a great read, and can't recommend Byzantium from Stephen Lawhead highly enough.  It is one of the most enjoyable stories I've ever read.

Lawhead has a modern telling of the Arthur story as well. It's an interesting read, if slightly preachy.

[urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Avalon-The-Return-King-Arthur/dp/0380977028]Avalon: The Return of King Arthur[/url]

As usual, use the Grogheads link to buy it. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2239.0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I tried to read the Pendragon Cycle.  I enjoyed Taliesin, but couldn't get into Merlin and quit there.  But Byzantium is on the short-list for all-time favorite books.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

0kult13

Do you mean bernard Cornwell, hang it all the starbuck chronicals are by far the best. Would never read anything of his where musketry was not involved.
Have you tried any of the wh40k horus heresy or gaunts ghosts books, much rockage there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starbuck_Chronicles

TheCommandTent

@Toonces - I haven't read Cornwell's books that you reference but I really enjoyed the series starting with The Last Kingdom.  But then again I was on a big vikings kick at the time.

I am going to have to look into that one.  I am always on the look out for good historical set fiction.

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Good thread, but I'm going to move it to our book section.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 10, 2012, 03:01:25 AM
If you want something a little more dense, check out Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. 

Now that is some tough reading!  I've started The Grass Crown twice and put it down twice.  I was digging the story but the three names for each person every time they're mentioned was killing me...and not easy names, either.

I do need to give it a proper try, again, when I'm not distracted by three other easier books that I'm reading at the same time.  I'll look for those other books you mentioned, too.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2012, 08:27:03 AM

Wait...we have a book section?

Greybriar

My personal favorite in the historical fiction category is Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts which is set during the French and Indian War. It has been reprinted and is available in hardcover for $5 from Amazon.com.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on August 10, 2012, 12:07:09 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2012, 08:27:03 AM

Wait...we have a book section?

Heh. Looks like you found it just fine :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

For what it's worth, toonces, I didn't find either of those books to be Cornwell's best work either, and I believe I'm one of those who suggested him. 

I would really recommend seeing if your library has -- or can at least get their hands on -- a copy of The Last Kingdom, as it's his Saxon Tales series of which I'm particularly fond.  (I also enjoyed Cornwell's Grail Quest trilogy, albeit to a lesser extent; and I intend to check out his Sharpe novels one of these days, as the series comes highly recommended.) 

If you find you're still struggling through The Last Kingdom, then I'd say he's definitely not for you.  Agincourt and The Winter King are -- IMHO -- not the best examples of his work, however.  Just sayin'. 

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 10, 2012, 03:01:25 AM
If you want something a little more dense, check out Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. 
Thus far, I've only read The First Man in Rome, but I found it a terrific read.  Am definitely planning to check out more of her books in that series! 

Strongly seconded! 

I've said it before that Lawhead is one of my favorite authors -- even more so than Cornwell -- and Byzantium is definitely my favorite novel by him (and like yourself, one of my favorite novels period).  Unlike yourself, I thoroughly enjoyed the books in his Pendragon Cycle (including its modern-day follow-up Avalon), but I acknowledge those are probably more a case of YMMV -- they're written in a more bardic/lyrical style, which some readers find off-putting or even grating. 

All that being said, I'm not sure if Lawhead's work truly qualifies as historical fiction.  It's a question I've long asked and debated with myself. 

Certainly most of his books are set during real historical periods and/or amidst real historical events, yes.  However, they also include strong religious & magical elements -- so much so, that the lines between historical fiction and traditional fantasy fiction tend to be blurred in many of his novels. 

I would almost say Lawhead is in his own sub-genre.  Perhaps we could call it mythic/mystical fiction? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces