Favourite genre poll

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 15, 2012, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I dig A Canticle For Leibowitz.  I have the follow up, something about a woman riding a horse, but couldn't get in to it. 

I prefer fantasy, but have read a good dose of the heavies, Asimov, Heinlein, Pournelle/Niven, Herbert, Clarke, Bradbury, et al.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

Gus, here are some titles you might be interested in. I left off some books that have been discussed here recently, such as World War Z and I'm sure I will think of others. But here is my list, in no particular order:

Swan Song by Robert McCammon   Half horror, half apocalypse, 100% awesome read!

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart  A classic of the genre.

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank    Dated but another classic. Hasn't held up as well as some but still...and its a quick read.

There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury  This is a short story but one of my very favorite Bradburys. You may have to dig around for it a bit. It made such an impression on me when I was young that I still know the words to the Sara Teasdale poem it references.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy   What can I say? Another classic.

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven    The premise of this novel spawned a couple of movies and the book seems a little dated with it's cultural references, but a good read.

One Second After by William R. Forstchen  One of my favorite newer novels dealing with the Big A. I consider this and Swan Song as the "must read" books on this list.

After America by John Birmingham  This is a trilogy but eh, I don't recommend the second or third all that much. This novel stands alone just fine and has some interesting moments.

Haven't read it yet but I just added Mountain Man by Keith Blackmore to my kindle. It's an apocalypse zombie novel with good ratings. Book report to follow  ::)

Shelldrake

My favorite is military sci-fi (eg Weber, Drake, Ringo etc.) but like Steelgrave I also really enjoy Apocalypse fiction - Day by Day Armageddon was an excellent read!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Shelldrake

In the same vein as Swan Song, there is The Stand by Stephen King.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

Thanks guys! You had me at Swan Song and Day by Day Armageddon! To Amazon!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

I purchased Mountain Man last night and sat up until 2am reading it. About halfway through and pretty good so far. Only negative is that it's set in Canada kindle only. And set in Canada  8)

Martok

Given my fondness for Tolkien and Asimov's Robot & Foundation novels, fantasy/sci-fi gets my #1 vote easily. 

Were the two genres to be split, however, it would be much harder for me to decide, especially given I'm also a big fan of historical fiction. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on August 16, 2012, 08:33:22 PM
^Cool man, cool. LB which WH40K omnibus are you reading? It's been a year since I finished Space Wolves...next one for me will be Eisenhorn and a nice special order WH40K artbook I picked up.

Iron Warriors. I am just a few pages in. Can't really say much about it yet.

I'm not normally a fan of reading the Chaos side of things, but the siege aspect had me curious. I'll keep you posted.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Interesting. I am definitely going for Eisenhorn next. Then maybe The Founding. But the Adeptus Mechanicus stories really have me intrigued too...Titanicus and the new one I just got, Priests of Mars. Also have The Gothic War omnibus waiting. Damn I really have to catch up on my WH40K reading...then of course there's the Vampire Wars Warhammer omnibus :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Steelgrave on August 17, 2012, 10:44:03 AM
I purchased Mountain Man last night and sat up until 2am reading it. About halfway through and pretty good so far. Only negative is that it's set in Canada kindle only. And set in Canada  8)

Just close your eyes and imagine that .... OMFG YOU PERV stop that!!! .... that its in Colorado or Alaska

do a find/replace and get rid of those pesky canadian town and city names .... don't delet the bacon references though
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bob48

Anyone read 'Amtrak Wars' by Patrick Tilley (can' remember if its 5 or 7 books). I read them a long time ago and found them to be pretty entertaining.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Steelgrave

Quote from: Windigo on August 20, 2012, 04:40:13 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 17, 2012, 10:44:03 AM

Just close your eyes and imagine that .... OMFG YOU PERV stop that!!! .... that its in Colorado or Alaska

do a find/replace and get rid of those pesky canadian town and city names .... don't delet the bacon references though
Ha! Funny boy  ;D I was wondering if any of you Canucks were gonna catch that. By the way, Mountain Man turned out to be a pretty good read. I finished it and the sequel, Safari. Both are kindle only and cheap and def worth a read if you're a zombie apocalypse lovin' kind of guy.

Centurion40

I love science fiction, but I hate fantasy (elves & wizards, etc.).
Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: Barthheart on August 15, 2012, 10:17:53 PM
Mine is SciFi.... but not fantasy! Those 2 should never be grouped.... >:(  (There your bitching for this evening...)

Just saw this!

Agreed!!

Centurion40

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 15, 2012, 10:32:28 PM
I was going to split it but it seems that the Warhammer 40K is very popular and I don't know how to classify it except as a fusion of SF and fantasy.

Warhammer is fantasy, WH40K is sci-fi.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!