Main Menu

Blood Angels

Started by Jarhead0331, September 01, 2012, 07:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The story of the Blood Angels and their Primarch, Sanguinius, in the Hous Heresy is finally on shelves.  I've only read the first 50 pages or so, but its started off great!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

^Thanks.  Took me hours to do by hand.  ;)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Cool was waiting for this one.... Thanks

Is there a go to manual or book somewhere that paraphrases the founding chapters histories.... I'm always reading about the secret of the dark angels and the frenzy of the flesh tearers and the purity of the ultramarines without any meat to the story

Arctic Blast

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 02, 2012, 03:19:06 AM

Is there a go to manual or book somewhere that paraphrases the founding chapters histories.... I'm always reading about the secret of the dark angels and the frenzy of the flesh tearers and the purity of the ultramarines without any meat to the story

Well, the Flesh Tearers are part of the Second Founding after the Horus Heresy, where the great chapters had to pare down and successor chapters were created using their genetic material. The Flesh Tearers are a Blood Angel successor, and the BA successors tend to be...colorful...chapters. In large part because of the genetic flaw that leads to the Red Thirst withing the BA that nobody else knows about.

Ultramarines tend to be seen as the paragons of Space Marines because they have the cleanest genetic material. As a result, they have by far the most successor chapters. Couple that with the fact that their primarch wrote the Codex Astartes, and they tend to see themselves as the top dogs. And the other organizations in the Imperium like that, because they're seen as 'clean'.

And of course, the Dark Angels are secretive about The Fallen. They tend to bug out on other missions if they discover that a member of The Fallen are nearby, so a lot of other Space Marine chapters don't trust them due to being left in the lurch in the past. But the concern among the DA chapter (and only a few of them are let in on the secret) is that if the story of The Fallen was to become known, the entire Chapter would be seen as vulnerable to manipulation and Chaos.

Actually, a great way to learn some of the Chapter histories is through some of the books for the Deathwatch RPG. The base book covers the Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Dark Angels and Blood Angels (as well as the Black Templar and Storm Warden successors). The Imperial Fists are in Rites of Battle. The other big one in terms of back stories is First Founding, which gets in to White Scars, Ravenguard, Iron Hands and Salamanders, talks about a few of the successors (as does Rites of Battle), and gets in to the main Chaos chapters (Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Death Guard, Alpha Legion, World Eaters, Word Bearers, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, Night Lords) both before and after the fall.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 02, 2012, 03:19:06 AM

Each chapter does have a codex, but tracking them down and buying them can be an expensive pain in the butt.  The best way to learn about the chapters is usually to read the books that cover them.  Each one gets into the lore.  However, the quick and easy way is to just check out the lexicanum, the unofficial warhammer encyclopedia.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page#.UEPjmpYe-Ao 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

thanks both - its quite amazing the amount of lore and simply the number of books written about the stuff, its a credit to GW

Gusington

I really wish they would publish a printed version of the Lexicanum. For noobs like me, it would be like catnip.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd