30 Years War Primer

Started by LongBlade, September 06, 2013, 01:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

Quote from: matt3916 on September 06, 2013, 02:06:19 PM
Have you looked at "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy" by Peter Wilson ?  (Although it is about twice as long as Wedgewood).

This is the 30 Years War book I've been working through.  Your description, LB, describes my experience with Wilson's book perfectly.  I'm reading it, but I'm not really following what's going on and I'll realize that I've read 3 pages but have completely been zoned out and have no idea what I've just read.

I think I've sort of given up on it.  I've got too many interesting books to read to waste time on a loser.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 06, 2013, 11:32:40 PM
Quote from: matt3916 on September 06, 2013, 02:06:19 PM
Have you looked at "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy" by Peter Wilson ?  (Although it is about twice as long as Wedgewood).

This is the 30 Years War book I've been working through.  Your description, LB, describes my experience with Wilson's book perfectly.  I'm reading it, but I'm not really following what's going on and I'll realize that I've read 3 pages but have completely been zoned out and have no idea what I've just read.

I think I've sort of given up on it.  I've got too many interesting books to read to waste time on a loser.

Wedgwood's book isn't dry, but I found that it is difficult to read for 20 pages, then a person pops up that I haven't had on my mind and I've needed to refresh myself. Seeing as there are at least half a dozen figures of importance, not to mention numerous others, I have created about a dozen of these sheets. Half seem to be highly important; the others less so, but I have them just in case.

The Amazon reviews indicate that Wilson's book is good, but dry. Wedgwood isn't dry, but the subject is still complex. Hence my move to create cheat sheets.

bob48

The only other book I have, or indeed have read on the subject, is very slim one from the Osprey 'Essential Histories' series.
It really gives you nothing more than a rough outline with a bit of detail on some of the significant battles. However, it was enough to get my interest up.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Dare I ask if there are any novels set during the Thirty Years War that you guys know about and are readable?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2013, 12:28:41 PM
Dare I ask if there are any novels set during the Thirty Years War that you guys know about and are readable?

The only one I've read is Wedgwood's and aside from the complexity which I've tried to remedy with this notes, it's quite enjoyable.

Toonces

Gus,
You can try this (for free) but I have not read it so I can't comment on its awesomeness.

I may give it a go once I clear out a few other books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008473P6C/ref=oh_d__o02_details_o02__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Thanks. For such an important era in history it sure is under-written.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

For a very understandable starter on the Thirty YEars War, try WP Guthrie's Battles of the Thirty Years War.
It is written by an academic who happened to be a wargamer, and he really is more down to earth and understandable than Wedgwood, or anyone else I've read.
TYW is a terribly complicated war, and getting a decent understanding takes some work.  I found Guthrie much better at explaining the complexities.  With his priming, it might make the thicker books, like Wedgewood, an easier read.
However, he used a vanity press, because no mainstream publisher would touch his book.  So his books are very pricey.  Get them by inter-library loand and make up your own mind.
Here is a tidbit from Google books.  http://books.google.com/books?id=8UZo2UBMdKYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=battles+of+the+thirty+years+war&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8tIsUuiPMPij4APsm4DoCA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=battles%20of%20the%20thirty%20years%20war&f=false

Finally, you can tell he is writing as a wargamer.  Instead of starting with the political situation, and sides, he starts with the armies, the tactical methods, and the Battle of Breitenfeld.  Having established this set of ground rules, and learning something of the times, then he goes into the politics.  Personally, I found it much more understandable and clear.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Thanks Besilarius. It will take some more thinking and poking around for me to settle on a title.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on September 08, 2013, 02:50:29 PM
For a very understandable starter on the Thirty YEars War, try WP Guthrie's Battles of the Thirty Years War.
It is written by an academic who happened to be a wargamer, and he really is more down to earth and understandable than Wedgwood, or anyone else I've read.
TYW is a terribly complicated war, and getting a decent understanding takes some work.  I found Guthrie much better at explaining the complexities.  With his priming, it might make the thicker books, like Wedgewood, an easier read.
However, he used a vanity press, because no mainstream publisher would touch his book.  So his books are very pricey.  Get them by inter-library loand and make up your own mind.
Here is a tidbit from Google books.  http://books.google.com/books?id=8UZo2UBMdKYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=battles+of+the+thirty+years+war&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8tIsUuiPMPij4APsm4DoCA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=battles%20of%20the%20thirty%20years%20war&f=false

Finally, you can tell he is writing as a wargamer.  Instead of starting with the political situation, and sides, he starts with the armies, the tactical methods, and the Battle of Breitenfeld.  Having established this set of ground rules, and learning something of the times, then he goes into the politics.  Personally, I found it much more understandable and clear.

Holy cow. You're not kidding.

Kindle version is $95!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0313320284/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0313320284&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20