Main Menu

Iron Harvest

Started by airboy, January 13, 2019, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Gus published on the "mythic front page" about Iron Harvest an alpha level RTS release.

Visuals are really interesting.  No interest in RTS generally or steampunk alt WW1 Mechs specifically - but the visuals were really memorable.

Gusington

Yeah the unit and mech designs are great in this game. Although I have outgrown RTS for the most part, the alpha of Iron Harvest and the small taste of the game I got so far is excellent. The alternate history will definitely draw me he full release.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

Had my eye on this for quite some time. Almost have backed it but am gun shy after regrets from buying into games before release. The gameplay that I have seen at least reminded me of Company of Heroes.

Gusington

^It is similar and can get a bit frenetic, but there are some great features too...like being able to equip your troops with abandoned equipment. The mechs are great too and by the time of release each faction is supposed to get many more.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2019, 08:51:48 PM
^It is similar and can get a bit frenetic, but there are some great features too...like being able to equip your troops with abandoned equipment. The mechs are great too and by the time of release each faction is supposed to get many more.

Thank you for the quick response, when is the approx. release?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on January 13, 2019, 08:49:27 PM
Had my eye on this for quite some time. Almost have backed it but am gun shy after regrets from buying into games before release. The gameplay that I have seen at least reminded me of Company of Heroes.

It is very similar to CoH. In fact, when I played the first alpha build, I was a little put off by how similar it was. However, I'm finding that as the game evolves some of the most obvious similarites are starting to diverge from CoH. However, I suspect in some ways, it will always feel like a reskinned CoH clone. This can be either good or bad, depending on how one feels about CoH.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Achilles - not sure of exact release date but the game is moving in to beta at the end of this month IIRC.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2019, 09:00:07 PM
Achilles - not sure of exact release date but the game is moving in to beta at the end of this month IIRC.

Are you sure about that? Only 2 alpha builds before beta? They have such a long way to go to be feature complete...beta by the end of January doesn't sound right at all...where did you see that?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign and get the developer's updates. Don't have them in front of me right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: airboy on January 13, 2019, 08:20:16 PM
Visuals are really interesting.  No interest in RTS generally or steampunk alt WW1 Mechs specifically - but the visuals were really memorable.

That's because it is an original work from an artist and the game just rides on the artwork. It is not a case where they develop the game and the artwork follows
https://www.artstation.com/jakubrozalski

I believe there's another game which uses the same art. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169786/scythe

Gusington

There is also a digital version of Scythe which I also have but it is kind of byzantine and obtuse.

I wouldn't say Iron Harvest 'rides' on the artist's work, either. The art itself is used as loading screen art in Iron Harvest.

In the PC version of Scythe, the artwork is used for much more, like in-game cards, etc.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

A few concerns I have about the game are.......
1. Size of maps, if its one thing hate is a RTS with small cramped maps with no room for flanking/expansion etc.
2. A good variety of different units.
3. Base building.

Gusington

Well your concerns at this point are certainly warranted as all three of those items are in the current build to some extent. I did, however, find the maps to be large enough to maneuver in most of the time.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd