Who would win and why??

Started by W8taminute, June 30, 2023, 02:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Round One Fight!

Who would win the following fight and why?

An Imperial Star Destroyer complete with full compliment of Tie-Fighters and Tie-Bombers versus an Imperium of Man Battleship?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

The Imperium Battleship of course, for no other reason necessary than it has the Righteous Fury of the God Emperor of Mankind on its side. 

Any other answer is heresy.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Space Marines boarding would be omnipotent, not least because there are very few if any 'Force' users in the Empire, but plenty of equivalent users in the Imperium.

Many Ties have no shields. I'm less familiar with Imperium fighters and similar small craft, but I suspect there's a superiority of average quality there. No idea about numerical superiority either way (my loose guess would be a SD.)

I'd have to look up size (which could translated to vulnerability in several different ways), shield, and armaments (number, hitting power, and shot rates) of the two main craft. But I feel pretty sure I recall that Imperium Force-user equivalents can affect how the main ship fights and survives, which is an advantage even Darth Vader doesn't usually grant to a Star Destroyer (though the expanded material may show otherwise) -- but without a sufficient number of Force users on the SD, trained for main ship support, the 40K Imperium should have a big advantage there.

This analysis has been brought to you by a team of Eldari and Tau. {g}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Good answers guys. 

If you do have the time to look into it further I'd like to hear your analysis Jason.   :cool:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Sir Slash

That's an easy one. Everybody knows the Imperials couldn't hit their own shoes when they take a Pee Pee. The worst duty on a Star Destroyer is Latrine Duty. Because nobody can hit anything.  :HideEyes:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Next up: Who would win?  Dick Buckshot vs. Buck Dickshot   :tophat:  :headscratch:  :HideEyes:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Dr. Who enters the chat   :evil:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

Not sure al, but a, 'Dickshot' is hard to pull-off. Just sayin'.  :snipersmilie:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Ok now you're just yankin' my chain.

Sir Slash

JasonPratt

Okay, on scale alone the Impy battleship wins. (Jeez, those guns are as big as Godzilla.) Not sure versus the Executor or other super-class Imperial frames, but then again the better 'Force' access and applications plus VASTLY much better Space Marines boarding options, would necessarily tip the balance in favor of the -erium over the -erials.

'Destroyer' vs Destroyer looks like a better fight.

Having said that, I might give some edge to the Space Battleship Andromeda with two wave motion guns (or the equivalents if that's Macross instead.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

So, 'Bigger' IS better when it comes to Space Battleships. Got it!  :wink:

Gusington

^You can't churn butter with a toothpick, son.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Why is she wearing a hard hat....Nevermind.