War and Peace: PC Game based on Avalon Hill Classic Board Game

Started by ArizonaTank, October 06, 2022, 09:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Mark McLaughlin's classic board game "War and Peace," first published by Avalon Hill, is being ported to the PC.

The game is a grand strategy game covering the Napoleonic Wars. It has seen somewhat of a rebirth in the past several years, after a popular upgrade / reprint by One Small Step publishing.

I am somewhat ambivalent about war board game conversions to the PC, and can't think of one I really like.

Still I am going to be following this one:

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

Me too Tank. But if they even come close, I'm all in. More detailed than NTW and more playable than the AGEOD game would be right in the Sweet Spot for me. And this time, my cat can't destroy the Grand Armee outside of Moscow.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I recall a fan project a few years ago for updating Matrix's Empires In Arms boardgame adaptation, that I never got around to testing. Or playing.  :hide: But I could tell the attempt at patching and upgrading was truly noble!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

I once owned War and Peace- I learned so much about the Napoleonic era from that, I too will be keep my eyes on this one.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

em2nought

Sillysoft dot net has a good "Risk" clone called Lux Delux
Stolen elections have consequences.

Phantom

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 06, 2022, 09:37:52 AM
Mark McLaughlin's classic board game "War and Peace," first published by Avalon Hill, is being ported to the PC.

The game is a grand strategy game covering the Napoleonic Wars. It has seen somewhat of a rebirth in the past several years, after a popular upgrade / reprint by One Small Step publishing.

I am somewhat ambivalent about war board game conversions to the PC, and can't think of one I really like.

Still I am going to be following this one:

There have indeed been some poor ones, but some more professionally done examples include Pavlov's House, Twilight Struggle & Labyrinth. OK, you can argue the latter two aren't traditional wargames, but they are still good conversions of board games. I think its a growing trend - IMO many board games are better than modern PC games for gameplay & immersion, and I welcome their being converted to the PC format to enable true solitaire play & of course being able to play without a large table!

Senex

First day buy.  I'm going to go down to the game room (My wife let's me have one.  Thanks, honey!) and get the War and Peace rules out to prepare.

Boggit

Quote from: em2nought on October 07, 2022, 06:38:38 AM
Sillysoft dot net has a good "Risk" clone called Lux Delux
They have quite a few Napoleonic scenarios available to download. Quite fun when you don't want to get involved in something but still have the urge to play. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bardolph

Backed. Was one of my favorites from the old Avalon Hill catalog though I only got to play it PvP a few times.
Fingers crossed they do it justice. Good to know Mr. McLaughlin is involved.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 15, 2022, 09:22:29 AM
Anybody trying-out the demo?

Turns out the demo doesn't have an AI so not going to invest much time in it....already backed it so they don't need to convince me any further:)

Senex

Unlike the board game, the digital version has no Grand Campaign 1805-1815.  At least not yet.  Big disappointment if it doesn't show up in the released version.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Senex on October 22, 2022, 11:20:57 AM
Unlike the board game, the digital version has no Grand Campaign 1805-1815.  At least not yet.  Big disappointment if it doesn't show up in the released version.

Agree, the real meat is the GC.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Bardolph

Grand Campaign is there. Not in the demo but included in the actual game.