Skies above the great war

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 05, 2023, 07:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Same here.  I'll try to start it up tonight
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Did a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 05:29:33 PMDid a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 

There was an operational WWI game about 20 years ago. It was by an obscure publisher who also did sports management games. It was 2D and seemed half-hearted...so I never got it. Anyway, I can't remember the title or publisher now, and a search did not yield anything.

But there certainly have been some very good physical board games touching on the subject.

A few of my favorites:

"Wings for the Baron" by Victory Point Games (OOP, good luck finding a decently  priced copy).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184866/wings-baron-second-edition

"Bloody April: Air War Over Arras, France" by GMT (uses a variant of the air operational system seen in Lee Brimmicombe-Wood's "Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi") In addition to the "Bloody April Campaign" (April 1917), the game has its "Eagle of Lille" expansion that covers the "Fokker Scourge" (mid 1915 to early 1916).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69136/bloody-april-1917-air-war-over-arras-france
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 05, 2023, 07:40:11 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 05, 2023, 05:29:33 PMDid a very quick look around and decided I need to find the document that describes the key bindings. Once I do, I'll play the demo and give my impressions. Certainly, the operational/strategic aspect of WWI in the air has not been touched by any games (as far as I know) It looks interesting, so I backed it on Kickstarter. 

There was an operational WWI game about 20 years ago. It was by an obscure publisher who also did sports management games. It was 2D and seemed half-hearted...so I never got it. Anyway, I can't remember the title or publisher now, and a search did not yield anything.

But there certainly have been some very good physical board games touching on the subject.

A few of my favorites:

"Wings for the Baron" by Victory Point Games (OOP, good luck finding a decently  priced copy).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/184866/wings-baron-second-edition

"Bloody April: Air War Over Arras, France" by GMT (uses a variant of the air operational system seen in Lee Brimmicombe-Wood's "Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi") In addition to the "Bloody April Campaign" (April 1917), the game has its "Eagle of Lille" expansion that covers the "Fokker Scourge" (mid 1915 to early 1916).
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69136/bloody-april-1917-air-war-over-arras-france

Guessing you might mean wings over France by Richard Hannah who makes a ton of sports pc games from board games.  Not compatible with modern operating systems so longer an option for most.

https://www.roogames.co.uk/wings.htm

em2nought

I think there was someone working on a PC version of Bloody April several years ago which I guess became vaporware.
Stolen elections have consequences.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:47:22 PMGuessing you might mean wings over France by Richard Hannah who makes a ton of sports pc games from board games.  Not compatible with modern operating systems so longer an option for most.

https://www.roogames.co.uk/wings.htm

Bingo!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: em2nought on July 05, 2023, 11:07:57 PMI think there was someone working on a PC version of Bloody April several years ago which I guess became vaporware.

Yes and Yes.  The Lordz were working on it...then seemed to have dropped it. Found this tidbit on the Matrix forums.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=332964
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Grim.Reaper

I backed it as well, although not sure it's going to make the goal...guess we will see

JasonPratt

According to a thread on BGG last month, Wings for the Baron has been picked up by GMT for redesign and republishing!

Can't find mention of it at GMT's site tho, so treat as unsubstantiated rumor for now I guess.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 06, 2023, 08:09:30 AMAccording to a thread on BGG last month, Wings for the Baron has been picked up by GMT for redesign and republishing!

Can't find mention of it at GMT's site tho, so treat as unsubstantiated rumor for now I guess.

Not to derail the thread, but this is excellent news. There is a complete TTS module for "Wings for the Baron," and I have been studying it as a possible game for our group.

Sorry all...back to "Skies Above the Great War."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Grim.Reaper

Was posted here about gmt picking up....although sounds like a ways to go as just not a reprint but sounds the update as well and then person has multiple jobs to complete before it

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3000008/article/42367121#42367121

Grim.Reaper

With only 4 days to go on Kickstarter, still short $2,500 for it to be successful, has only collected $2,000 to date so highly likely the campaign won't meet it's goal.  However, the developer did provide an update that he plans to finish the game regardless so hopefully it does keep moving forward regardless and still will contain the content that was planned.

Grim.Reaper

As expected, Kickstarter failed but developer did post a message that he planned to carry on and release something eventually into Early Access.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially the strategic later, wish the developer the best but I am not going to be surprised if it releases later and/or doesn't include everything they originally planned.  We'll see.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2023, 04:19:56 AMAs expected, Kickstarter failed but developer did post a message that he planned to carry on and release something eventually into Early Access.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially the strategic later, wish the developer the best but I am not going to be surprised if it releases later and/or doesn't include everything they originally planned.  We'll see.

Crossing my fingers on a good Early Access release. Would love to see a game do this subject matter well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"