Skies above the great war

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 05, 2023, 07:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 26, 2023, 02:14:04 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2023, 04:19:56 AMAs expected, Kickstarter failed but developer did post a message that he planned to carry on and release something eventually into Early Access.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out, especially the strategic later, wish the developer the best but I am not going to be surprised if it releases later and/or doesn't include everything they originally planned.  We'll see.

Crossing my fingers on a good Early Access release. Would love to see a game do this subject matter well.

+1

What I've seen in the demo, although simplistic, has a lot of potential to be a great game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Early access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2023, 08:13:32 PMEarly access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.

Hmm, the Steam page does not have a demo download link for me. I can pick the demo off the store search, but it just takes me to the main page...where I can't download the demo... sigh....  Maybe a regional thing, or just error...  guess I'll wait....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 25, 2023, 01:57:12 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 24, 2023, 08:13:32 PMEarly access Release date set for January 11th.  Updated demo at original steam page link.

Hmm, the Steam page does not have a demo download link for me. I can pick the demo off the store search, but it just takes me to the main page...where I can't download the demo... sigh....  Maybe a regional thing, or just error...  guess I'll wait....

It's there for me and I downloaded...haven't played yet though...

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 25, 2023, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 25, 2023, 01:57:12 PM

It's there for me and I downloaded...haven't played yet though...

Got it thanks. Was looking for a green button, so missed the subdued blue one.

Anyway, played around with it. Game is still somewhat rough, but I like where it is going.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

I couldn't resist, and purchased the game a few days ago.

The game is playable. It has some UI issues and obvious bugs, but I haven't seen anything that can't be played through.

The dev's interest in getting the history right, is pretty clear from the beginning of the game. Although admittedly he does take some reasonable artistic license for sake of gameplay. In computer game land, I can't think of any other game that covers the operational / tactical side of WWI air campaigns. The closest thing I can think of is a board game: GMT's Bloody April. 

Still the game is a little rougher than I am usually used to. That is OK for me, since I love the subject and scope, the price is right, and I think the issues should be fixed soon. If like me, you love the subject matter, I'd say this is a great project to support. And the dev is working on fixing things.

Still, I hope the dev doesn't go into hibernation like some other small devs...looking at you Silent Studios over "Bomber Command" (Bomber Command was released in April, and updates stopped after six weeks or so).

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

W8taminute

You're lucky Arizona.  I've played about 4 hours so far and it's nothing but bug after bug.  Disappearing aircraft and pilots from my airfields, planes that ignore orders to fly home and crash because of no gas, recon missions completing but never registering by the game as complete thus no credit given.  The list goes on.

I'm playing exclusively the Entente early campaign with no AI management as I like to micro everything. 

Maybe I should start a German campaign and see if all these bugs are present as the German player. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like this game and really want it to be good because it is good.  Just don't need all these bugs but I'm happy to help the developer flesh them out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on January 16, 2024, 09:37:27 PMYou're lucky Arizona.  I've played about 4 hours so far and it's nothing but bug after bug.  Disappearing aircraft and pilots from my airfields, planes that ignore orders to fly home and crash because of no gas, recon missions completing but never registering by the game as complete thus no credit given.  The list goes on.

I'm playing exclusively the Entente early campaign with no AI management as I like to micro everything. 

Maybe I should start a German campaign and see if all these bugs are present as the German player. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like this game and really want it to be good because it is good.  Just don't need all these bugs but I'm happy to help the developer flesh them out.

+1

I am seeing the same sorts of bugs, and find them annoying as well.

Maybe you have tried this, but when my pilots disappear from the roster, if I close the roster, then reopen it, they come back.

Lack of throttle is my biggest issue...but admittedly, early aircraft didn't have one. For example, I don't believe the Fokker Eindeckers had a throttle...just on and off.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Geezer

Thanks for taking one for the team guys.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

W8taminute

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 17, 2024, 09:15:39 AMLack of throttle is my biggest issue...but admittedly, early aircraft didn't have one. For example, I don't believe the Fokker Eindeckers had a throttle...just on and off.

If you use mouse wheel you can indeed throttle up and down.  Works on even early aircraft like the Airco pusher for the Entente.

I'll try closing and re-opening pilot roster screen like you mentioned.  Thanks for the tip.

W8taminute

I hope I'm proven wrong but I think those of us who bought this game just got the shaft without lube.
Developer is unresponsive and a scan of the past 24 hours of activity show no results. 

If a patch that actually fixes this game comes out this week I'll retract and apologize.

Old TImer

Quote from: W8taminute on January 21, 2024, 09:42:26 PMI hope I'm proven wrong but I think those of us who bought this game just got the shaft without lube.
Developer is unresponsive and a scan of the past 24 hours of activity show no results. 

If a patch that actually fixes this game comes out this week I'll retract and apologize.

Totally agree.  As it is right now this is a piece of junk.

W8taminute

All kidding aside though.  I did notice yesterday the developer responded to a couple of threads on the Steam discussions.  Hopefully it's not a ruse but a glimmer of hope.