Steam Next Fest Has Started!

Started by trek, February 05, 2024, 02:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

Demos available:

HOMEWORLD 3

HEADQUARTERS: World War II (Turn-Based Tactical Game from Slitherine)

RATTEN Reich (COH-like with Rat Characters)

RENAISSANCE KINGDOM WARS

W8taminute

Totally forgot about this.  Thanks for the FYI!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^I also just downloaded the Millenia demo.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CJReich46

I dl'd Millennia demo, but passing on HW 3 due to my specs are just too dang low.  :buck2:

I kind of expected it.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

steve58

Millenia looks like another Civ clone?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Downloading Homeworld 3 demo now. Dammit all to hell.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

It kinda pees me off a homeworld 3 demo is available. Because spoilers. How does one have a story based experience from start to finish without knowing what will happen and what is in the content?
Advertisement and marketing is such a curse for these kind of games in the age of social media.
No doubt before I can even buy the game I will now be bombarded from all sides with a gazillion details I cannot acroll past fast rnough to stop my brain imbibing detail. I will now be forced to play the demo and wait for release. A little like I am forced to do with each episode of the mighty eighth

Keep in mind that most people can be extrapolate fairly easily from small details and even broad strokes that may be given. I guess I should just give up on wanting the old excitement I used to get from a totally new experience that hits your unprepared state and gives you that adrenaline rush of learning and wonder for the first time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Typically drm part of a game doesn't really impact my buying decision, but noticed that homeworld 3 is using denuvo, which that alone doesn't usually bother me.  But don't think I ever saw activation limits associated with it.  In this case, what does it mean?  Does it mean I can only reinstall 24 times across 5 different pcs?  I install and uninstall games all the time, although not sure if I have ever done 24 times over the life of the time I played it but really would hate to be limited especially if something I might play for years.  Maybe just not understanding what it means.

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Denuvo Anti-Tamper
5 different PCs per 24h machine activation limit

Gusington

Hmm I dunno either - I also uninstall and reinstall willy-nilly regularly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 06, 2024, 05:51:24 AMTypically drm part of a game doesn't really impact my buying decision, but noticed that homeworld 3 is using denuvo, which that alone doesn't usually bother me.  But don't think I ever saw activation limits associated with it.  In this case, what does it mean?  Does it mean I can only reinstall 24 times across 5 different pcs?  I install and uninstall games all the time, although not sure if I have ever done 24 times over the life of the time I played it but really would hate to be limited especially if something I might play for years.  Maybe just not understanding what it means.

Yeah I don't mind Denuvo, but some people say it adds a lot of cpu load to games and constantly runs. You always see people complain about it, but from what I have seen a lot of those are characters that are more likely to be annoyed that games have protection at all.
As for the activation limit 5 PCs in 24hrs for a single license seems fine and indicates to me they must still be having real trouble with game rippers.
What does make me laugh though is that the devs are hippy free love types that do a 4 day week... I would not expect this from them but gearbox as the publisher would and I guess that is their role.

Just an FYI... I felt I had no choice but to join the hype and this was my first impression for HW3

[spoiler]
Some things in the DEMO are off, but the game is looking "ok" rather than amazing.
I notice already that some things are dumbed down. Harvesters for instance are capable of endlessly filling themselves like they are all harvest controllers... yet they are really 3 harvesters with a small harvest (resource) controller. This means it's less of a decision to make or devote resources to collection. It simply works well from the get go.

Also noticed we have a lot of really silly abilities that seem console like. Get ready on that spam button. Every 30 seconds go back to your squad and press the power up button again?? I don't think I could hate anything more in a classic RTS like this. Win via unnecessary micro.

Graphically it looks ok but not much of a step up from HW remastered.

I HATE the demo's wave mode. I hate tower defence. This wave mode reminded me of something a modder would do. I guess this will be what the campaign is :(

Turrets that can be redeployed any time? Also lazy and easy mode. Turrets are now just ships that need a deploy button.

What's with the individual pilot names and the bored voice actors? No passion at all. \

Ship designs seem pretty meh as well so far. They don't look dangerous at all. They simply look like pebbles in space. Perhaps they are not warships.

Ships move strangely and seem unexcited about their attacks and very robotic.

The game seems "OK", but nothing outstanding so far. I played the tutorial and then one level of the demo and was bored. I am now wondering if any advancement at all over homeworld2 will be evident on launch. So far I have seen it all before, but perhaps better with previous titles.

Another thing. Why bring out a demo? What about all those FIG backers from way back that should be playing the campaign and being wowed collecting ships in each mission? Now they HAVE TO play this demo and see the ships because their is no avoiding the media now. I had been staying away from spoilers and not even reading the homeworld3 news in the lead up to this hoping to avoid the hype so all the surprise and experience came on launch with the campaign.

Not feeling it so far sorry guys.
[/spoiler]
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 06, 2024, 05:51:24 AMTypically drm part of a game doesn't really impact my buying decision, but noticed that homeworld 3 is using denuvo, which that alone doesn't usually bother me.  But don't think I ever saw activation limits associated with it.  In this case, what does it mean?  Does it mean I can only reinstall 24 times across 5 different pcs?  I install and uninstall games all the time, although not sure if I have ever done 24 times over the life of the time I played it but really would hate to be limited especially if something I might play for years.  Maybe just not understanding what it means.

Pirates gonna pirate no matter what. 

So why should I as a paying customer be forced and constricted to limited install/re-installs and machine serial numbers for something I legitimately paid for? 

In my eyes they're just using piracacy as an excuse to get you to buy the same game multiple times once the download limit has been reached. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mbar

What about all those agreement screens I had to wade through to install Homeworld 3? Good grief!! I don't think I've clicked through that many agreements in any software before. I felt like I was installing 3 games simultaneously or booting up software for access to the NSA servers.

The pacing during the tutorial was SLOW. Why use BACKSPACE to recenter on the mothership as default? The demo left me underwhelmed.

Sigwolf

Quote from: W8taminute on February 06, 2024, 08:58:12 AM

Pirates gonna pirate no matter what. 

So why should I as a paying customer be forced and constricted to limited install/re-installs and machine serial numbers for something I legitimately paid for? 

In my eyes they're just using piracacy as an excuse to get you to buy the same game multiple times once the download limit has been reached. 
I'm fully against developers utilizing Denuvo, and DRM in general, but I do think this is a bit of an over-reaction to this particular implementation.

The way I understand it, you can only install the game on five different computers within any twenty four hour period.  There is absolutely no limit on the total times you can install and uninstall the game on the same machine, and every twenty four hours you get the five machine limit refreshed. 

I can't really imagine a scenario where this would hinder a legitimate user.  The main issue I have with DRM is having a game held hostage to the operational status of a particular activation server, and game performance issues (frame rate drops/stutters) due to poor implementation.

glen55

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower