Main Menu

Sound Cards

Started by MIGMaster, October 12, 2012, 12:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

I'm writing the final part of a PC audio piece for the site and was interested in what people are doing for PC audio these days......

Shelldrake

Prior to my latest build I always used some variant of a Soundblaster card but recently the drivers have been problematic so I went with onboard sound in my latest build and am completely happy. Bye Bye Soundblaster!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

I'm using whatever the default is in this laptop. It's pretty good.

I've got a set of awesome headphones that are 7.1 capable, but haven't ponied up the booster to take advantage of whatever sound benefit that is supposed to yield. So far I don't think I've been ripped off though I can't say what I'm missing.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MIGMaster

Quote from: Shelldrake on October 12, 2012, 01:07:29 PM
Prior to my latest build I always used some variant of a Soundblaster card but recently the drivers have been problematic so I went with onboard sound in my latest build and am completely happy. Bye Bye Soundblaster!

You're gonna want to read the piece I'm working on now - some very interesting info to that that relates to your experience.

eyebiter

Was using the on board motherboard driver. 

Upgraded to Logitech G35 headset which has a 7.1 surround sound chipset built in.  Windows Device Manager detects it as another sound card.

TheCommandTent

I just use the motherboards sound card.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

On my current build I am also using the onboard sound for most stuff but a USB headset for Hulu and Gaming that shows up as a sound device much like Eyebiter's. The Bass on the headset is pretty heavy.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 12, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
this:

Is that a 2006 Macbook C2D behind that Space Alien's junk?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

I'm using a SB card in my desktop. There is a Realtek audio on the motherboard, but I wanted a SB.  I've tried them both separetly and they both sound good to me.  Even though I disable the realtek audio, every once in a while I loose my SB and end up with the realtek.  I've never been able to determine if its the SB drivers or the HP desktop...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

junk2drive

I didn't vote because I play all my games with sound off.

MIGMaster

Wild.... By choice or is it an environmental constraint ?

junk2drive

Both. With the wife in the same room it annoys her. Most wargames have repetitive gunshots and explosion sounds that get on my nerves quickly. Such as Steel Panthers during opponent replay or AI turn. Or vehicle movement sounds in games like Combat Mission.

It puts me at a disadvantage in some games that give you intel by sound. Close Combat seemed to need sound to be played at all, as the queues from your troops reduced the need to view the message box.

I also generally listen to online radio while I play.

Ironically I did the sound for Panzer Command Ostfront. Testing that required the wife to be watching TV in the other room.

Bison

I've come to embrace the headset.  Current rig has a Soundblaster card in addition to the on board and frankly I cannot tell the difference.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 12, 2012, 06:48:59 PM
On my current build I am also using the onboard sound for most stuff but a USB headset for Hulu and Gaming that shows up as a sound device much like Eyebiter's. The Bass on the headset is pretty heavy.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 12, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
this:

Is that a 2006 Macbook C2D behind that Space Alien's junk?

i find the floating leg more disturbing. Star? Victim? FBI?

GDS_Starfury

I dont know what kind of macs they are. 
and thats not my leg.  crocs.... rufkm!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.