Main Menu

TV as PC Monitor

Started by LongBlade, November 14, 2012, 02:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK, so I decided to make my TV a monitor for my PC. Aside from positioning myself front and center in the family room the technical and logistical pieces were a slam dunk.

However I'm getting about a tenth of a second delay in keystrokes and mouse responsiveness on it. While that's fine for typing on the forum, it's insta-death in Black Ops II. I was hoping that a larger monitor would help, but instead it's just slowing me down.

Anyone else having similar problems?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

What kinda connection you using LB ? HDMI?

eyebiter

What is the response rate of the TV?  The new high end sets are around 4ms.. Older TV,s could be 8-20ms depending on the vendor and age of the panel.. Is this a plasma, LCD, or led?

LongBlade

LongBlade

Quote from: eyebiter on November 14, 2012, 03:37:06 PM
What is the response rate of the TV?  The new high end sets are around 4ms.. Older TV,s could be 8-20ms depending on the vendor and age of the panel.. Is this a plasma, LCD, or led?

TV is six months old. Ya know, I forgot what it is.

<type, type, type, type>

Still not sure. I'm thinking LCD but I'm not sure. It has an "enhanced refresh rate" stamped on the front. But no model number. Without unscrewing it from the mount I'm not sure exactly how to determine its exact model. Looks like the manual has gone missing but I'll keep looking.

Barthheart

Somewhere in the TV's menu system it probably says what the model is.

PS Yer dangerously close to losing yer Man Card if you can't quote the make and model of yer tech gear...  :P

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on November 14, 2012, 04:16:09 PM
Somewhere in the TV's menu system it probably says what the model is.

Yeah, I figure that's the case. Right now I'm thinking that sitting my armchair 3 feet from the screen in the family room is going to be a logistical hurdle that will face strenuous objection by the rest of the family.

I may poke around a bit more but this is starting to look more like work than fun.

Mr. Bigglesworth

It may be your particular TV or vid card. I had no lag problem in games. Fuel of War and WH2 for example.

My Steam died so Im SOL now. That is a network issue.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

LB, do you have all postprocessing effects shut off on the TV? these can make video better but can cause a very slight lag in mouse to screen results. Here is a random discussion from a sports gaming forum to get you started on troubleshooting:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/398132-tv-settings-eliminate-video-lag.html
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Hiimori

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 14, 2012, 06:51:31 PM
LB, do you have all postprocessing effects shut off on the TV?

Many modern TVs also offer a special "game mode" where all post-processing options, which cause a delay, are turned off.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

QuoteI may poke around a bit more but this is starting to look more like work than fun.

Gaming on a big HDTV in a comfortable chair is indeed nice, much nicer than sitting in front of a PC. Why all the hassle to make it work with your Nb? Grab a 360, plug it in and start gaming. Xbox is cheap now...and fun  :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

Quote from: Hiimori on November 15, 2012, 02:05:08 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 14, 2012, 06:51:31 PM
LB, do you have all postprocessing effects shut off on the TV?

Many modern TVs also offer a special "game mode" where all post-processing options, which cause a delay, are turned off.

Thanks! I'll look for it.

GDS_Starfury

or you can got to the wargamer and ask GR.   ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

GR's fu is code, not tech.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

for what its worth I tired the tv as monitor layout when I got my first big Bravia.
fun at first but after a short time you have to much real estate to look at to make it fun.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.