Game of Thrones on Sale at Steam

Started by Jarhead0331, February 13, 2012, 01:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

75% off...$9.99.  I think I'm going to jump.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Shelldrake

Tempting and the screenshots look really nice but that metascore of 52 is a bit of a downer. Still...I am considering it. Thanks for the heads up JH.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

Hmm...I would like to but I've read nothing but negatives.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I think the negativity is deceiving.  GoT is definitely a non-traditional RTS. I think the vast majority of players bought the game believing it was going to be just about harvesting resources, building camps and dumping out units.  But the real meat of the game is in the pre-war diplomatic maneuvering that by all accounts was very complex.

This may have turned off a lot of traditional RTS player who just wanted to go to battle in an never ending clickfest.

That's just my gut instinct.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^Did you buy it yet?

I am justifying not buying it by reserving that 9.99 to go towards an upcoming title that I am pretty sure is set to be my favorite game of the last 10 years at least.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2012, 02:03:49 PM
^Did you buy it yet?

I am justifying not buying it by reserving that 9.99 to go towards an upcoming title that I am pretty sure is set to be my favorite game of the last 10 years at least.

Not yet.  Probably when I get home tonight.

What game are you saving for?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Fall of the Samurai. I really think CA have hit the nail on the head for me with this one. It could be the culmination of 25 years of gaming.

I am just getting into my first campaign of Shogun 2 this week and I am just blown away. It is just - great, for lack of a better word...in new ideas brought in (like the philosophical tech trees) to the re-creation of 16th century Japan, to upgradeable generals, to combating pirates and trading with foreigners.

It took a series which was my favorite, fell out of that slot for a while, and brought it back to prominence. So much so that I am enjoying re-learning playing TW.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But when I am having this much fun, it's got to be something really special to take me away from it. For perspective, I stopped playing Skyrim (after 50 hours) to start a Shogun 2 campaign. I really think I could play Skyrim and Shogun 2 and nothing else for a very long time.

These two titles are great antidotes to those pesky sales that come up all the time :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

^sounds like you've found your soul mate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Every now and then I get a little nervous that I am falling out of love with pc gaming. Then something like Shogun 2 or Skyrim shows up and I calm the f down.

Sure it keeps me from working on the house or out in the yard/woods as much as I should be at least it's a pretty inexpensive hobby and keeps the old brain going :)

All I need to be able to do now is just get games on a whim without thinking it over to death.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Geesh...now I am tempted by this.....any feedback yet?

TheCommandTent

I've been tempted by this to but am put off by the reviews.  If anyone gets this please let us know what you think.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Well, I was sitting on the fence, solidly (I mean it's only $10, what are we, crazy now?) and so I browsed the Steam forums.  The first (or second) thread was this one, asking the same question we are wrestling with.

These guys don't sound quite as unintelligible as the normal game forums (excluding us and Matrix, etc.).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2541372

Sounds like a pass, even at $10.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

^Thanks for the link

The Game of Thrones mod for Civ V mentioned in the thread looks interesting though.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=437575
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

There's also a mod that's been in development for TW forever...Westeros: TW.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd