Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on June 07, 2017, 08:56:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 07, 2017, 08:53:37 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 07, 2017, 06:31:53 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 07, 2017, 05:02:02 AM
Doesn't Russian tactics typically use active sonobuoys so you should be able to see/hear them?

I've seen active sonobouys on the tactical display...  :o

Yes, they show up on the tac display.  But I'm not sure if you'll always detect them. 

Their splashdowns may not show up if your sub is going so fast that it's sonar is washed out. 

Not sure if this is the case, or whether you always hear them within a certain range of your sub.

Well I did get what seemed like small cinematics showing the Bear dropping the bouy and is splashing in... not sure if I saw that because I was poking around in 3rd person or becasaue I was close enough to actually hear the event...

There is an audio sound you'll hear, if your 3D view is close to it.  You may have been hooked to the aircraft (F4), or perhaps close to the surface watching your sub.

They're displayed as a flashing dot, with a circle of dots around it.  Kinda like a decoy symbol.

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on June 07, 2017, 08:58:43 AM
There is an audio sound you'll hear, if your 3D view is close to it.  You may have been hooked to the aircraft (F4), or perhaps close to the surface watching your sub.

They're displayed as a flashing dot, with a circle of dots around it.  Kinda like a decoy symbol.

Yeah the flashing dot with dots around it is what I saw and misidentified it as a decoy... which is a dot with dashes around it....  :P

Nefaro

After a short time getting used to it, the sub steering isn't all that bad.  Kinda enjoyable at times, as long as torpedo panic doesn't put you in a rush to jockey the planes & ballast.  :D

My biggest concern is the Terminator-like fixed wing aircraft.  Something is wrong with them, because they're unerringly flying directly over your sub.  Even when you're Deep & Creepy.  :arr:

At first I thought it might be way overpowered MAD sensors on the aircraft.  But it may be something else.

Devs reportedly looking into it.

Despite some bugs, this thing is a blast.  Decent challenge, too.   :bd:

Nefaro

Yikes.. 

Ran into that bug where it won't let you leave the scenario unless you sail all the way to the red map edge.  With the bugged ASW aircraft stuck to you the whole way.  :o

I'll probably have to hard exit out of that battle.  :-\

Definitely needs some bugs fixed. 

Capn Darwin

The Devs are working on the asw aircraft and can't exit issues per threads on Steam.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mikeck

Dammit....I miss the 1980's Cold War. It even made the olympics more interesting.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

-budd-

Haven't played a sub game since Silent Service 2. This one looks like it hits a nice middle ground between hardcore and Arcady, I'll get this soon. I think Jive Turkeys vids pushed me over the edge. Thanks for all the impressions,,it helped lead me to buy another game I don't need, damn grogs.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Barthheart

Glad to be of service!  :bd:

sandman2575

Quote from: mikeck on June 07, 2017, 01:44:39 PM
Dammit....I miss the 1980's Cold War. It even made the olympics more interesting.

The looming threat of nuclear annihilation was a small price to pay for this.   ;D

I kid. Growing up in the Reagan years, I too have a lot of nostalgia for Cold War stuff. Red Dawn made a deep impression on me  :)

mirth

Wargames and Ally Sheedy  :smitten:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

sandman2575

Wargames is an absolute classic. Never had a thing for Ally Sheedy though. The chick in Ferris Bueller's Day Off on the other hand...

mirth

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 07, 2017, 03:11:53 PM
The chick in Ferris Bueller's Day Off on the other hand...

Mia Sara
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

jamus34

Someone explain how a thread on submarine warfare turned into a wankfest???
Insert witty comment here.