Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?

Started by hurryover, August 11, 2013, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurryover

I was looking into getting Germany at War but am on the fence about it still. I enjoy the Eastern Front but sometimes there seem to be too many games on the subject, that don't add anything new.

Does this game add anything new? Or should I look elsewhere? The screens aren't that impressive.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1150/Germany.at.War:.Barbarossa.1941.Released!

Tuna

lol.. still hard to tell with those darn 'tiny' screenshots!

hurryover

Quote from: Tuna on August 11, 2013, 04:54:28 PM
lol.. still hard to tell with those darn 'tiny' screenshots!

I know, right? The thumbnails are about the size of the pop-up pictures. And there are only two images.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this one might be a flop?

Darkspire

QuoteWith 4 Campaigns, including 37 scenarios in the main campaign, 14 stand-alone scenarios and an editor with which to add new mission, multiplayer PBEM++ support and good graphics, this game is an exciting new milestone for gamers who enjoy Panzer Corps and similar games.

The section in bold made me laugh, they really do need to get someone in to sort the descriptions out, to me that is coming across as sub par graphics but you can put better ones in yourself  ;D

Not wishing to invoke the 'grandma, eggs and sucking scenario' but do you use the Google drag and drop image finder?
Here is a much better selection of images and more game info from a drag and drop.

http://linode.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78164

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.

hurryover

Quote from: Darkspire on August 11, 2013, 05:44:55 PM
QuoteWith 4 Campaigns, including 37 scenarios in the main campaign, 14 stand-alone scenarios and an editor with which to add new mission, multiplayer PBEM++ support and good graphics, this game is an exciting new milestone for gamers who enjoy Panzer Corps and similar games.

The section in bold made me laugh, they really do need to get someone in to sort the descriptions out, to me that is coming across as sub par graphics but you can put better ones in yourself  ;D

Not wishing to invoke the 'grandma, eggs and sucking scenario' but do you use the Google drag and drop image finder?
Here is a much better selection of images and more game info from a drag and drop.

http://linode.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78164

Darkspire

Thanks for the input Darkspire. The sentence you reference from the description is poorly constructed and has a spelling error. From my experiences, it seems like it was put together by someone who's first language was not English ("mission" should be "missions").

That is a great place to find images. But should I have to go to drag and drop to find images? I would think that the place selling the product should be most interested in posting large pictures in order to get sales.

Darkspire

Although I primarily use it to find images I find it really useful for finding info on things, images are generally accompanied by a review or at the very least a discussion on a forum somewhere. Matrix and it's sales strategies are always hot discussions,  your right though, they need a proper gallery of images for a game, at least 1024x768, and decent promo videos put on YouTube, never really been one for hex wargaming, I only know Matrix through Distant Worlds but I am starting to take a keen interest in these sorts of games, maybe I will give one a go at some point.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.

hurryover

I guess no one has this?

Then I wont risk my money. I work too hard for it.  :(

ComradeP

I was a beta tester for the game, so my opinion is in a way biased.

I like it more than Panzer Corps, but I also liked Operation Barbarossa (sort of "Germany at War 0.5") even though many people disliked it.

I'd suggest checking the forums over at Matrix for comments or reading some of the AAR's, if you're wondering if it's your cup of tea.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JasonPratt

I don't have it yet but it's certainly on my radar.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Boggit

Quote from: Bismarck on September 06, 2013, 11:28:52 AM
Surprisingly good. Check out my review.
I liked your review. "Surprisingly good" sounded ominous, as though your expectations were low. Perhaps worth a punt at it then?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

The original game was notoriously buggy as I recall, so "surprisingly good" is good. :)

Link to the review on the Grog frontpage, for convenience.

Interesting comparison: Panzer General : GermatWar :: Model T : Corvette!

One thing I didn't quite understand, Jim, was whether there was a Russian grand campaign. It seems not? -- but there are Russian player scenarios vs German AI (which you had good grades for both ways including realistic difficulties for Russian AI due to doctrine), and maybe smaller Russian campaigns?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bismarck

No Russiam campaign but late war scenarios are Russian gimmes.
Jim Cobb