Sell your MMO accounts

Started by SgtRock, August 30, 2013, 01:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtRock

There are a couple of MMO's I no longer play and have no interest in ever going back too, so I'm thinking of selling the accounts. They have a lot of high level content, premium items, gold, etc. Has anyone every done that? Which web sites are best for selling them?

GDS_Starfury

I would imagine the game specific forums.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

I sold my Everquest account years ago for $1,200.00, which nearly made my wife faint. At the time, there was a fairly well-known account broker site online, but it was bought out and I didn't have a need to keep track of it. Since almost all eulas ban this practice, there are a lot of shady characters out there. However, a quick google search led me to Playerauctions.com, which seems to have filled the broker void. Some folks use E-Bay as well, but I've heard of gaming companies watching for activity on E-Bay and banning the accounts involved. It's a tricky business where you have little recourse if you are cheated or if the game company chooses to suspend or delete your account for the attempt.

SgtRock

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 30, 2013, 01:46:38 PM
I would imagine the game specific forums.

Duh, I'm asking what experience players have in do it, and any recommendations they may have!

CptHowdy

I concur with steelgrave. playerauctions.com 

what game accounts you looking to sell? I know with eve you can sell your account online through their forums. section of the forums is called character bazaar. even have a price check section so people can get a feel for what their character is worth before posting for sale.

GDS_Starfury

shrugs  IDK I dont play mmo's except for world of tanks.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Steelgrave on August 30, 2013, 01:56:50 PM
I sold my Everquest account years ago for $1,200.00, which nearly made my wife faint. At the time, there was a fairly well-known account broker site online, but it was bought out and I didn't have a need to keep track of it. Since almost all eulas ban this practice, there are a lot of shady characters out there. However, a quick google search led me to Playerauctions.com, which seems to have filled the broker void. Some folks use E-Bay as well, but I've heard of gaming companies watching for activity on E-Bay and banning the accounts involved. It's a tricky business where you have little recourse if you are cheated or if the game company chooses to suspend or delete your account for the attempt.

The key to knowing how and where to "sell" is to read the EULA of the specific game.  For instance, I've heard that Blizzard prohibits the sale or transfer of any WoW account.  You do not actually own the account, you only pay for a license to use it.  Therefore, you cannot legally sell something you do not own in the first place.

I'm not rendering an opinion on the legality of such a transaction, but beware, you do risk violating the terms of a contract.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

I have to say when I saw $1200 my jaw hit the floor.

I decided to check out playerauctions and saw real world supply and demand (albeit on the digital shady side) in action.  Being the largest MMO most accounts were for a single toon at level 90 for around $300.

The most expensive were offering maxed out multiple toons with epic mounts maxed out professions etc for about $3K.

Roughly speaking if you played 4-8 hours a day I would say it would take a solid year to max out 5+ toons with all the gear and professions. 

This is a wore return then a Bernie Madoff scheme.  So I have to bid goodbye my dream of selling my unplayed WOW accounts for an early retirement!

Con

Steelgrave

My EQ account was about four years old with several great toons, but the top flight equipment is what brought in the bucks. Plus, at that time, there weren't a dozen MMO's competing for everyone's attention, Everquest was still a pretty big deal.

As far as any legalities, at the time that I sold my account I knew that I was taking a risk of being cheated or of a ban (and subsequent loss of account), but there was certainly no criminality involved. Think of Google glasses, which are untransferable under their terms of service. You try to sell a pair of their glasses, they turn them off, you have no recourse but you don't go to jail. You try to sell your MMO account and get caught, you lose the account. I'm not offering legal advice, but I don't believe that anything has changed to criminalize buying or selling an account. But as Jarhead points out, you are potentially in violation of your contract with the gaming company, for whatever that's worth.

eyebiter