Civ 5 AAR - Empires of the Smoky Skies

Started by bayonetbrant, February 03, 2016, 08:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I mean, if we weren't making fun of each other between rounds of peach schnapps, we'd have to start discussing international postage or something  O:-)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Nice use of impugn, too.

What difficulty do you play at that you almost always win?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Prince is the low end of my spectrum, but I've won at least 2 games at diety level

MetalDog

Throughout iterations?  Or just specific ones?  Either way, I'm impressed.  Envious, too.  I've won on Monarch, but Deity is WAAAAAAY above my skill  :)

bayonetbrant

I rarely play the pre-fab scenarios. I usually set the general settings something along the lines of
- huge world
- small continents or archipelago
- temperate climate / 5b age
- standard or abundant resources
- 7-9 other civs
- 10-16 city-states

I always start at the dawn of time

MetalDog

Every Monarch game I've won was on a Tiny or Small map.  4,000 B.C.  Usually Pangaea.  Regular everything else.

BanzaiCat

I enjoy Civ V games on larger worlds with lots of civs so there's time to develop and build before coming into contact with each other. I hate generating big worlds and finding another civ 10 hexes from my capital.  >:(

Usually I just do Continents Plus, or Terra.

So, how do you guys find success on the higher difficulty levels? I assume you have to do a ton of micromanagement in your cities to min/max production of everything. I hardly ever mess with assigning citizens within a city to certain jobs, which is probably why I don't play at the higher difficulty levels. Also it's quite satisfying to drop a nuke on a society that has barely mastered sailing vessels. :)

Though that's getting old. I've been toying with the Prince and above levels lately. Instead of getting my butt kicked I usually end up imploding my civ because happiness is ALWAYS in the toilet.  :-\

MetalDog

I lose way more often than I win, even on Prince.  And I don't play V, but, there is more attention to detail for me when playing at the higher levels.  I still haven't quite figured out city specialization.  At least not in the sense of getting the best production out of each city.  That's what I do when I play solo games.  Works sometimes.  Other times, not so much.

Martok

Fun-looking scenario!  (I'm almost tempted to fire up a game and try it.)  Will definitely follow this one.  O0 

Question, though:  Why are Settlers so bloody expensive in this scenario?  Are they just that gung-ho on trying to limit expansion? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

JasonPratt

Is no one going to talk about Brant's link to that atrocious McCartney song to the equally disappointing Ackroyd/Chase action-comedy?

Because I had forgotten just how bad that song was. I had not forgotten how bad the movie was, nor how the promos (featured occasionally in the video) made it seem like gold. But I remember listening to that song over and over again on the radio and wishing with all my heart it was better and being heartbroken every time.

And now that I'm grown up, I spend free time on this site!  :D

COINCIDENCE?!!?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 10, 2016, 12:07:15 PM
Is no one going to talk about Brant's link to that atrocious McCartney song to the equally disappointing Ackroyd/Chase action-comedy?

Spies Like Us was a fun movie!

The song is terrible.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 10, 2016, 12:14:04 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 10, 2016, 12:07:15 PM

Spies Like Us was a fun movie!

The song is terrible.

Yes
and
Yes
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys