Wildermyth is a real gem

Started by devoncop, June 16, 2021, 11:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Not sure if there has been a thread on this  amazing RPG before but it has just gone into full release  and on the strength of great reviews and a 97% positive  score on Steam I decided to have a gamble and put aside my prejudice  against the art style  and unlike my abysmal National Lottery record this is a gamble that really paid off.

Really easy to play but with more and more depth added as you progress and incredibly immersive in its storytelling.  Only on the first Campaign out of five and there is mod support too via Steam workshop but even vanilla this is going to have a lot of replayability.

Its 20% off on Steam for the next few days and for 15 UK pounds it's a steal.

Highly recommended.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

FarAway Sooner

Cool.  I've been following this one the last few weeks due to all the rave reviews. 

I'd love a write-up with your first impressions after you've played a few more hours.  I've only found one or two really good, story-driven RPGs in the last decade (Loren: Amazon Princess fits that bill, as does Sunrider: Legend of Arcadius), but both have been very anime-themed.

devoncop

No problem I will do that.

There are some good write ups already on the Steam review page  to be fair but I will throw something together soon.

I will say that there are some customization  options for your party of three at the beginning and fairly early on you can decide on the dynamics between each character ( " Friends" or " Rivals" or a " Romance" option. Given I have named a guy with my own name and a female with the name of a long lost love I am already deeply invested  :smitten:

There are apparently  opportunities  to buff up characters by changing body parts later on....wolf legs for speed  for example so whether I will be as smitten when she is sporting a boar head and a couple of wolverine legs may be moot  :DD

CptHowdy

I just purchased this @ 130 am this morning. Noticed it on sale, watched someone play it on twitch for a bit and read the reviews. Played for a bit and recruited a 4th member to my merry band of heroes. Can't wait to put more time into it after work today.

devoncop

Glad to see you are enjoying it too Capt !

A lot more too it than meets the eye.

FlickJax

Looks really good, tell us more :)   but before the end of the sale ;)

devoncop

Okay so my first party got taken down as I tried to make it through the first campaign on normal difficulty as I was learning the mechanics and making lots of mistakes  :)

A great mechanic is that though there is no timer on the campaign the longer you mess around the enemies grow in strength .....buffed types of enemies, new types etc. You have the option as you conquer regions to secure them so they yield resources which can then be spent on new weapons/armour or to push on while the enemy is relatively weak. If you secure the region time passes which allows your party to heal with time if needed.

Success in battle gains you points which can be spent on cancelling some of the new units that would have been available to the forces of evil which is nice.

Another aspect is some regions are subject to "infestations" which allow small parties of adventurers of 1 or 2 to be ambushed...left unchecked these infestations also become more powerful. They can be cleared by patrolling which also takes time...

Choices pop up as you travel ....my beloved Ranger Julie was given a choice as to whether to prise a gem out of a magical rock....the choice she made has left her somewhat disfigured though not to her martial disadvantage.... ;)

If you get to a province bordered by an unbridged river then the party has to build a bridge to enter using resources you have gained from secured provinces and some provinces also give you the option to collect extra companions, build special buildings, build province defences etc.

The actual combat uses XCOM like cover but the Mage can utilise the furniture and scenery to damage enemy units stood nearby to them (splintering wooden items into flying sharpened missiles for example). Levelling up gives a big variety of differentiated buffs for each combat type so each playthrough will be very different. My second attempt at the first campaign is going better for me so far and my party were given different choices for buffs from the first run which is great to see.

The writing continues to be a delight and overall I am finding myself looking forward to another play session when not actually playing and thinking of new tactics to employ....which is always a good sign.

Hope that helps.

Ian

FlickJax

Thanks, yeah will pick this up tonight

hellfish6

It absolutely doesn't look like my type of game but it's so rare to see so much praise here for something...

al_infierno

Quote from: hellfish6 on June 17, 2021, 03:59:38 PM
It absolutely doesn't look like my type of game but it's so rare to see so much praise here for something...

+1
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

FarAway Sooner

That's very helpful.  Thanks.

ArizonaTank

Watching your characters age reminds me of "Massive Chalice," another hidden gem game.

I played through the first chapter of Wildermyth, and I think it certainly scratches a gaming itch forgotten by many more recent RPGs. It certainly has more storytelling than is common. Overall, I think it is pretty good, well worth the price. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 18, 2021, 10:14:33 AM
Watching your characters age reminds me of "Massive Chalice," another hidden gem game.

I played through the first chapter of Wildermyth, and I think it certainly scratches a gaming itch forgotten by many more recent RPGs. It certainly has more storytelling than is common. Overall, I think it is pretty good, well worth the price.

Hi AT

I never played Massive Chalice but I agree about the storytelling aspect. In chapter 2 the time constraints are a little more evident and I reluctantly just had to reject a side quest to ( hopefully) keep on target. Whether to split up or concentrate your party in certain regions is another aspect I am trying to get right.....

Still really enjoying the journey....

ArizonaTank

Quote from: devoncop on June 18, 2021, 10:40:51 AM
I never played Massive Chalice but I agree about the storytelling aspect. ....

If you like squad tactical games, with a good dose of strategy, you can't miss with "Massive Chalice."  Particularly if you get it on sale.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 18, 2021, 03:37:22 PM
Quote from: devoncop on June 18, 2021, 10:40:51 AM
I never played Massive Chalice but I agree about the storytelling aspect. ....

If you like squad tactical games, with a good dose of strategy, you can't miss with "Massive Chalice."  Particularly if you get it on sale.

Just checked out the Steam Page...sounds a long epic challenge.....wishlisted pending the upcoming Steam sale  O0

Many thanks AT