$3,732.68 worth of DLC for one game!

Started by Greybriar, July 26, 2014, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I noticed that Train Simulator 2014 was 65% off and selling for $13.99 so I decided to check it out. I knew there was a lot of Downloadable Content for the game, but I was surprised to learn that there is $3,732.68 of it!

So I decided not to buy the game.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

sandman2575

Quote from: Greybriar on July 26, 2014, 11:18:03 AM

Going out on a limb here, but I think that was a wise move.   8)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 26, 2014, 11:24:54 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 26, 2014, 11:18:03 AM

Going out on a limb here, but I think that was a wise move.   8)

Well, you certainly don't need to own all the DLC in order to enjoy the base game:)  I own both major train games and I have only stuck with the base stuff and still got some enjoyment out of it.

Arctic Blast

Eh, it's a game for model train enthusiasts. They're going to pick and choose what they want and not buy everything, anyway.

Yskonyn

Yeah. The DLC are effectively addons like we know from the MSFS and MSTS scène for a long time. It just went from being a boxed product to a digital delivery to a steam digital delivery where they use the term DLC for each and every extra for a game, no matter if its just minor stuff or packs we used to call addons or expansion packs.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Staggerwing

I thought I'd check out the Train Sim 2014 link in case I might want to get it and, embarrassingly, I already own the base game :o
Must've gotten it during one of the sales for 'future consideration'...  ::)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2014, 12:50:35 PM
I thought I'd check out the Train Sim 2014 link in case I might want to get it and, embarrassingly, I already own the base game :o
Must've gotten it during one of the sales for 'future consideration'...  ::)

I have it too and I am pretty sure its because I bought Railworks back in the day and the yearly updates are free? I sure didnt buy 2014.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

WallysWorld

I have the game and like it a lot. I only buy what DLC I want and you can't really compare the DLC for Train Simulator 2014 to other games like EU IV and CK2 which change the core game play.

Train Sim's DLC is like buying an airport addon or airplane addon for MSFS as Yskonyn noted. Actually I commend the Train Sim developers for allowing so many choices for the player.

And yes, the yearly updates are free as of now. I bought Train Sim 2012 and have been upgraded to the 2014 version for free.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

jomni

Dovetail (the devs) is criticized for their add-on pricing.  With some items left buggy and never fixed.

But $3000 worth of DLC is no biggie.  I believe it is also achievable in FSX and many people have no qualms paying for that.

By the way, your Trainsim 2014 will be upgraded (for free) to 2015 soon. 
Upgrades are free, but you won't get a complete base package (routes and trains) compared to those who buy the full 2015 version.
If you want to have the complete new stuff, you have to pay something.

Nefaro

Quote$3,732.68 worth of DLC for one game!

That's insane.

The question being, "is it worth it?"  There will always be some who'd say yes to anything.  But comparing such a number with a large collection of other stuff you could get for the same price puts it into proper perspective.  We could buy approximately 74 nice tabletop games or many many more PC games for that much. 

Granted, you may not need or want all of that, but in order to reach such a total I would think that their DLC is also questionably priced for what you get.  That or there are a huge amount of people cranking out massive amounts of content.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on July 26, 2014, 07:36:02 PM
Quote$3,732.68 worth of DLC for one game!

That's insane.

The question being, "is it worth it?"  There will always be some who'd say yes to anything.  But comparing such a number with a large collection of other stuff you could get for the same price puts it into proper perspective.  We could buy approximately 74 nice tabletop games or many many more PC games for that much. 

Granted, you may not need or want all of that, but in order to reach such a total I would think that their DLC is also questionably priced for what you get.  That or there are a huge amount of people cranking out massive amounts of content.

I guess how is this any different then other games that have a lot of add-ons and are expensive such as the flight sims (MS and X)?  Seems like there are countless add-ons for those products and from what I read on this board, seem pretty costly as well, if not more.  The train game has about 182 add-ons/dlc that makes up that $3,732 cost, which averages to about $20 per add-on/dlc.  They seem to add different content such as train cars and routes, same as the aircraft simulators add more planes, scenery, and other things.  I think putting all this content in one lump sum seems to suggest someone would actually buy all that at one time, which probably is very unlikely, although I am sure some passionate fans of the series might have picked it up over time.

As whether it is questionably priced or valuable, I guess the value and costliness of the content will be different for those that are interested in trains vs planes....just depends on what you like.

Don't get me wrong, I am not enough of a train fanatic to purchase large amounts of this and in fact I only own the DLC that came free with it, but I don't think it is completely crazy when you put it into context.

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Grim.Reaper

Staggerwing