How do you tackle the backlog?

Started by CaptainKoloth, September 16, 2023, 09:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I blame you all here. If you didn't make all the new games sound so good, I'd still be happily working my way through Rome Total War...the first one I mean. I know it's not really your fault, but it's better than admitting I have a problem.  :Hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 16, 2023, 12:48:20 PMFortunately, Steam remembers what I purchased more than six months ago and keeps me from buying games twice... :ThumbsUp:

Unfortunately, GoG also exists. And Gamersgate. And Humblebundle. And Fanatical...  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:

........and physical media...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2023, 11:55:39 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 16, 2023, 12:48:20 PMFortunately, Steam remembers what I purchased more than six months ago and keeps me from buying games twice... :ThumbsUp:

Unfortunately, GoG also exists. And Gamersgate. And Humblebundle. And Fanatical...  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:

I have a folder on my PC with a shortcut to every game I own (16 TB of HD and SSD's  :HideEyes: ) .
Before I buy a game I do a search in this folder and more than once a game pops up I forgot about.

I also have Excel files that contain every CD, DVD or Blu-ray I own.

I don't think its OCD but it could be close  :embarrassed: .

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 18, 2023, 12:42:13 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2023, 11:55:39 AM

I have a folder on my PC with a shortcut to every game I own (16 TB of HD and SSD's  :HideEyes: ) .
Before I buy a game I do a search in this folder and more than once a game pops up I forgot about.

I also have Excel files that contain every CD, DVD or Blu-ray I own.

I don't think its OCD but it could be close  :embarrassed: .

This is not all that far off from me.

Sir Slash

Me too. Sometimes I can't remember if I still have, 'that old game I just remembered I never finished' on the current computer or the last one???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Father Ted

Quote from: solops on September 16, 2023, 11:24:48 PMI buy more games and then keep playing the same ones I am addicted to.

This.  I reckon that my expenditure evens itself out in terms of £/hr of play.  However, I do still feel guilty about the "good" games that I own that I don't play (eg watched about 40 hours of WitE2 tutorials but haven't actually started a game).

Also, I have a backlog at work, so I REFUSE to have one at home.

Sigwolf

Quote from: Father Ted on September 19, 2023, 01:32:53 PMThis.  I reckon that my expenditure evens itself out in terms of £/hr of play.  However, I do still feel guilty about the "good" games that I own that I don't play (eg watched about 40 hours of WitE2 tutorials but haven't actually started a game).

Also, I have a backlog at work, so I REFUSE to have one at home.
That's why I retired.  Now I don't have to feel guilty about having a game backlog at home.   :ROFL:

Sir Slash

Now you have to deal with all the people who ask you, "So whatta you do with all your time now that you're retired"?  :hair:

Anguille

I used to keep an Excel sheet with the games i planned to play and keeping track of which game i had completed or not. It has 3 columns for strategy games, Real-time and City-builders. So one game of each type per month. I usually gave each game 3 months. Obviously, i played some games longer than that. I probably did this for about 10 years but i haven't been using it for the last 2-3 years now. I usually try to play the games at least the number of hours i played the game for. If i pay a game 40, my goal is to play at least 40 hours.

smittyohio

In Soviet Russia, the backlog tackle YOU!