Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I hope the Japanese didn't pay too much for that cruiser. Or had REALLY good insurance. At first I thought you were talking about the 2 Chinese BB's that Japan acquired after their war with China, can't remember their names but they were bought from France also I think I remember and they were very old and slow as hell but were well protected as I recall. I'm sure somebody here knows the ships I'm thinking of.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 04, 2019, 10:07:41 AM
I hope the Japanese didn't pay too much for that cruiser. Or had REALLY good insurance. At first I thought you were talking about the 2 Chinese BB's that Japan acquired after their war with China, can't remember their names but they were bought from France also I think I remember and they were very old and slow as hell but were well protected as I recall. I'm sure somebody here knows the ships I'm thinking of.

It seems they were German (from Wikipedia):

Name (pinyin)   Name (Wade Giles)   Characters   Type   Construction   Specifications
Dingyuan   Ting-yuen   定遠   steel battleship   1882, Vulcan, Stettin   7,430 tons, 14.5 knots, four 12-in guns, two 5.9-in guns, three 14-in torpedo tubes
Zhenyuan   Chen-yuen   鎮遠   steel battleship   1882, Vulcan, Stettin   7,430 tons, 14.5 knots, four 12-in guns, two 5.9-in guns, three 14-in torpedo tubes

Gusington

I remember reading about those ships a few years ago in a history of the Sino Japanese war (1894-95). Love this stuff. I hope the campaign in Dreadnoughts can match my imagination.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

I am just intrigued by this era.

If they allow different navies to duke it out like Russia Vs Germany or Britain vs France..etc.. or US vs Japan I am definitely keeping my eyes on this one.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

The game descriptions so far have been bare bones but I am pretty sure what you describe above is part of the plan.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

This recent book may have a lot of information on the cruisers of the era:

Before the Battlecruiser
by Aidan Dobson

Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 2018. Pp. 304+. Illus., plans, diagr., tables, graphics, appends., notes, biblio., index. $57.95. ISBN: 1682473759

A History of the Armored Cruiser

Naval historian and author of numerous books, including the recent The Kaiser's Battlefleet, Dodson, has produced a comprehensive account of the class of warships that came to be known variously as "armored cruisers".

Originating in the era when warships were in transition from wooden to iron, these ships were designed to defend or raid commerce, to scout for the battle fleet, and as flagships for squadrons on distant seas, roles earlier performed by heavy frigates or 50- and 60-gun ships-of-the-line. Armored cruisers were often bigger, faster, and costlier than contemporary battleships, but they were also more lightly armed and armored, and at times found themselves in the battleline with their more robust cousins, such as during the Spanish-American or Russo-Japanese Wars.

Dodson examines these vessels in two ways. He devotes about half the book to an overview history of the evolution and operations of the type, from its origins through the Second World War, in which some aged survivors actually played a role. In the second half, Dodson gives us a technical and historical profile of each navy's fleet of armored cruisers. This covers technical details, design changes, and operational experience of individual ships and classes, and includes vessels that were projected but never built.

Well-illustrated, with photographs, diagrams, and even full color images of some original plans, Before the Battlecruiser is a valuable reference for anyone interested in the evolution of the modern warship.

---///---

Reviewer: A. A. Nofi, Review Editor   

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Fv8Q6Xx-L._SL160_.jpg
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MengJiao on June 04, 2019, 05:12:50 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 03, 2019, 11:18:33 PM
Fascinating stuff.  History I didn't know, and I taught the subject for 20 years.  I love it when I learn something new and I thank you for it.

It of course must've been aliens.

I blame the Chinese.

Of course!  Chinese Aliens.  Should've suspected.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on June 04, 2019, 05:53:04 PM
The game descriptions so far have been bare bones but I am pretty sure what you describe above is part of the plan.

Sweet. I am in.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

MengJiao

Quote from: besilarius on June 04, 2019, 06:10:00 PM
This recent book may have a lot of information on the cruisers of the era:

Before the Battlecruiser
by Aidan Dobson

Interestingly, the author is an Egyptologist by profession and training.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 03, 2019, 11:18:33 PM
Fascinating stuff.  History I didn't know, and I taught the subject for 20 years.  I love it when I learn something new and I thank you for it.

It of course must've been aliens.

There is definitely an anime in this story somewhere...!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Thomasew

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win