Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

I don't play the Middle East version much but this should be a good game

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 20, 2021, 12:56:50 PM
The original version of the Campaign Series did include historical and dynamic campaigns, but I'm fuzzy about whether the new series has done so in its first game (set during the modern Israeli-Arab wars).

I think Groghead member Crossroads is a dev working on the series, so he should be around soon to provide details.  :notworthy:

That's correct, Jason, there are two different types of campaigns as you recall.

First, the Linked Campaigns, which are manually created by the scenario designer. These consist of a select number of scenarios, and a certain pathway around them depending on your success, or failure, per each scenario completed in the campaign. Casualties carry over as well, so can't go all gung-ho there. Once we have the Lua based CS Event Engine available here as well, these should be a complete hoot.

Then, the Dynamic Campaigns that are auto generated by the dynamic campaign generator. Here, the designer does not create any scenarios as such, but sets the paratemets as how it flows. Each one scenario is then generated within the campaign per the Dynamic Battle Generator engine you might recall from the John Tiller Campaign Series. I wrote a Developer Diary of how to create Dynamic Campaigns a few years back (A "few years?" In 2014! Yikes!).  These are way cool as well.

Once the Dynamic Campaigns are migrated to latest standards, the individual Dynamic Battle Generator for individual battles should be available as well. I wrote a Dev Diary on those way back then as well.   

Alas, both need a fair bit of TLC yet before available. Thank you for your patience!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Project hand-off to Matrix Games at the end of October... Wish us luck!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Crossroads on August 27, 2021, 12:19:28 PM

Great, this is definitely on my list to purchase.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Tell Paolo to give us press code!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Crossroads

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2021, 12:52:21 PM

Tell Paolo to give us press code!

O0

Exciting times, still plenty to do, but can almost smell the napalm in the morning now...

devoncop

Most anticipated game for me.

Brilliant news.

Fingers crossed for you.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Thanks for your support guys! Little by little we can start posting more sneak peeks etc I am sure. 

z1812

I too am looking forward to this. The linked scenario  system sounds very interesting.

There is a lot more information and screenshots here.   https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4661692

Old TImer

Day 1 buy for me.  Most anticipated game in awhile.

Dammit Carl!

Day. 1. Buy. For. Damn. Sure.

Thanks to any and all who've worked on that and given further life to the series.

al_infierno

+1 to the last few comments.  Feels like I've been waiting ages on this one.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao