Free on GOG --> Ultima I & II, Syndicate Plus and Syndicate Wars

Started by steve58, August 06, 2021, 03:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2021, 06:25:45 PM
Can I go home again with Ultima?

Break out that beige box 486DX2 stashed in your attic and rock Ultima Underworld like it was 1992!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

FarAway Sooner

Your guys' posts evoke fond memories.  I think you have the right timeline for when 486 chips hit the market, but not for when Ultima and Ultima 2 hit the market.  Those were much earlier--mid 80s at the latest, if I recall.  I was playing Ultima III (or was it IV?) by sometime in the mid-80s.  Heck, Pools of Radiance hit the market sometime before 1992!

The original Ultima hardly ran on a 486, if memory serves me right.  I think it ran on an Atari 800 or a Commodore 64, but not a Vic 20 or an Atari 400.  I'm sure it ran on an Apple II or an Apple IIc as well, but the only person I knew who could afford those were my cousins.  And their dad had his own private plane!

I suspect the x86 chips architecture been invented by Intel then, but I vaguely remember my dad picking up a Zenith PC a few years after that.  My recollections are hazy, but the Zenith was a big deal because it had a brand new 286 processor.  It also had a hard drive, and could actually run this fancy new typing program called WordPerfect, which had already eclipsed WordStar as the typing program of the day.  They were even applying a new name to those typing programs--they called them "word processors". 

Ultima was NOT a game that you installed on a hard drive.  There was no such thing for less than $1,000 or so when Ultima came out.  You loaded it from a 5 1/4" floppy into your computer's memory, which is why the game would pause for 5 or 10 seconds every time you entered a town or a new dungeon level!  I still remember the warm feeling as the green light came on and my computer loaded new contents into memory.

Ah, the good old days!   :smitten:

The games were truly revolutionary for what they did.  Few remember Akalabeth, which was Lord British's predecessor to those titles, but lacked any real pretense of role playing.  Those two games were COOL.  I doubt they'd have much replay value now, though!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd