The Great War: Western Front

Started by SirAndrewD, August 24, 2022, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I remember buying that Historyline game in college, and returning it to the store for credit when I discovered a game-breaking bug.

And yep, the Entente was what I was thinking of! -- though I also recall the Blitzkrieg engine entry. (Pretty sure I have both of those somewhere.)

Meanwhile, if you're talking about real-time (pausable) WW1 tactical action, plus a strategic overmap campaign as icing on the cake (or perhaps vice versa ;) ), the current no-contest winner (as of 7 months ago anyway) is:

The two main downsides -- which are due to hard-coded game engine factors (as might be expected) -- are (1) pretty much totally lacking trench warfare; and (2) the naval campaign has to use heavily modified 1800s ship graphics. But the ships ARE meant to be the real surface ships of the period (and are shown as such on the campaign map and the techs). ...yes, surface ships, no sub warefare really (unless as an abstraction). The air war is naturally abstracted, too, although scout planes are a thing on the map (little Eindeckers!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^I have this loaded and ready to go on my PC. Haven't tried the newest iteration but I did try to play it years ago - maybe v1.0 - and just couldn't get into it as much as I loved the subject. Have you spent time with this newest version?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Alas, no -- too many shiny things!  :dreamer:

it occurred to me the other day, that VASSAL modules exist for the 1914 monster board games, and I know there are attempts at synthesizing those into a grand campaign (at least for 1914), and I recall figuring out how to pull assets out of Vassal into forms that Tabletop Simulator can use (which is how a ton of things get to TTS, like most of GMT's catalog), which would be super-handy for trying to run a grand campaign, perhaps even as solo (since there are solo rules for those games)............

...alas, no -- too many shiny things elsewhere.  :dreamer:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I've spent quite a lot of time with that mod for NTW.  It really is a huge improvement over the previous version.  What stopped me from playing it though eventually was the fact that the ai tends to spawn stacks of doom out of no where.  I just couldn't keep up with the money needed to hire the soldiers to counter these stacks.   :-[
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

"Lord John" has been running a Germany campaign since July 2021, on the new 6.0 version. (The dev asked him to do that for public demonstration, in order to show off the fullness.)

Worth noting that the dev has been working on this Nappy:TW mod since Christmas 2001!  :o :o :o :o

Full playlist to the end of his campaign here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1bVcquAT5h3ZzxZ_eaN_yNUmvDx5fn5N

Gusington

Thanks guys. I just launched my version of the The Great War mod and I see that it is v5.2 - how/where do I update?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I think you go to mdb, download the current version of the mod, unzip it (with 7p or Winrar or whatever) to somewhere as a new 'data' folder, then copy or move it into the NTW install folder to replace the original 'data' folder.

It's a complete overhaul, and NTW (unlike Rome2 and subsequent TWs) doesn't have true workshop or mod functionality. So the installation is pretty simple, but also totally overwrites NTW.

Edited to add: I think the mod is here? https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-mod/downloads/the-great-war-mod-vi

Gusington

Thanks Pratt! I wish it were available in Steam Workshop.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Oh boy...

First look at the strategic layer...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

W8taminute

^Looks like this one has to be a Day 1 purchase.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on November 18, 2022, 09:23:27 PM
^Looks like this one has to be a Day 1 purchase.

Totally.

I get the love of the Total War mod and the constant attempts to adapt a WW1 game to that genre, but it looks like Petroglyph actually has wisely and finally adapted WW1 from the ground up to work in this genre, rather than mods in Total War or HOI that try to fit the square peg into the round hole.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

Fingers crossed that this is THE WWI game we've all been waiting for.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Between this and Knights of Honor 2 I am so ecstatic.

I am very curious how the AI will behave here...will it be true to life and pour resources and men into a lost cause, or will it be more dynamic?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

This looks awesome.  Just catching up now, is there any ETA on the release date?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao