Combat Mission confusion

Started by Philippe, March 15, 2023, 10:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: Redwolf on March 17, 2023, 04:26:22 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on March 16, 2023, 08:32:18 PMThe Matrix version also uses their PBEM+++ system, which works pretty well for PBEM  matches, and is easier/quicker to use than emailing PBEM files.

The BFC versions also gain the PBEM++ system when the Steam release happens.

Personally I think it is unusable, but hey...

I did not know that.  In that case, I would still recommend getting the Matrix version, as you get a Steam key (I believe) plus the effectively unlimited (100, I believe) downloads from Matrix.  The only issue is the DLCs, which I don't know if the Matrix/Steam version has.  FWIW, I'm using the PBEM+++ system right now (while getting my butt kicked) in the CM Cold War tournament, and the system is working well=no hiccups.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sigwolf

Quote from: Tripoli on March 18, 2023, 07:52:19 AMThe only issue is the DLCs, which I don't know if the Matrix/Steam version has.
Every Battlefront title released thus far on Matrix has had complete DLC availability, so there is no reason to assume that won't continue to be the case moving forward.

Philippe

Quote from: Sigwolf on March 18, 2023, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on March 18, 2023, 07:52:19 AMThe only issue is the DLCs, which I don't know if the Matrix/Steam version has.
Every Battlefront title released thus far on Matrix has had complete DLC availability, so there is no reason to assume that won't continue to be the case moving forward.

Does DLC availability mean that they're included or does it mean that you have to but can buy them separately ?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Philippe on March 19, 2023, 11:41:15 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on March 18, 2023, 11:09:55 AM

Does DLC availability mean that they're included or does it mean that you have to but can buy them separately ?

If you already have any DLC on Battlefront you will have that DLC on Slitherine/Steam.
Base game & DLC have to be activated separately.
DLC you don't have on Battlefront will not be active in the Slitherine/Steam edition until you buy them.

JasonPratt

THE PROMISED TIME HAS COME!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2297010/Combat_Mission_Battle_for_Normandy/

On sale for only US$122.36! That's like 24% off on average!  :Party:

More importantly, I found both my BF password and my CMx2 keys where I had the prescience to archive them in case such a day, not to be even hoped for at the time, ever came.

How to use them, exactly, I don't know yet. But I shall be researching, in accordance with links upthread!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 02, 2023, 02:05:37 PMTHE PROMISED TIME HAS COME!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2297010/Combat_Mission_Battle_for_Normandy/

On sale for only US$122.36! That's like 24% off on average!  :Party:

More importantly, I found both my BF password and my CMx2 keys where I had the prescience to archive them in case such a day, not to be even hoped for at the time, ever came.

How to use them, exactly, I don't know yet. But I shall be researching, in accordance with links upthread!
In that case, register your keys with Matrix (if they are for CM: Normandy, or any of the other CM titles that Matrix has] and you can download the Matrix version, and get a Steam key from the Matrix version key you will get.  If you purchased the CM: Normandy Big Bundle, the key will be accepted by Matrix for each of the DLCs, but you will have to enter it separately for each DLC.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

I forgot to come back here and mention that I sort-of-blogged my activation in the original thread here: https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?msg=724347

It came out the same way as you briefly described, of course.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Destraex

So they will be doing one game at a time or are these slated to come to steam in short succession to each other?
Also notice their is no demo on steam for cm normandy, wonder if they will only use the demos when the steam demo week arrives.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on April 02, 2023, 06:04:19 PMSo they will be doing one game at a time or are these slated to come to steam in short succession to each other?
Also notice their is no demo on steam for cm normandy, wonder if they will only use the demos when the steam demo week arrives.

CMBN - release set for March 2023

CMRT - release set for June 2023

CMFI - release set for September 2023

CMFB - release set for December 2023 or January 2024

JasonPratt

Ah, so end-of-quarterly! That's reasonable.

Destraex

asking in other instruction thread.

Redwolf

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 03, 2023, 07:22:07 AMAh, so end-of-quarterly! That's reasonable.

I don't think that needing a full quarter for each game with no code changes except Steam integration is reasonable. At least it should speed up after the first few due to experience gained, after all the Steam integration will be the same for all these games.

Not that it really matters to me. I will probably switch to the Matrix version of those CMx2 games that have it.

JasonPratt

I meant reasonable from a profit-making standpoint, although I don't know about code changes for integration first with Matrix and then with Steam.

A Canadian Cat

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2023, 08:58:29 AM<cite><a href="https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?msg=724401">Quote from: JasonPratt</a> on 4/4/2023, 9:58:29 a.m.</cite>I don't know about code changes for integration<br>
They have to add the code to handle PBEM++ and tournament integration to each title, test it before handing it off to Slitherine who do the Steam integration. Now that it has been done once or twice :-) I'm sure it can go faster but there are likely other things going on at the same time.

Destraex

Can I confirm that sending turn files to each other still works? That way if the system ever dies it's still a working manually.