Distant Worlds 2 first DLC is out

Started by solops, March 16, 2023, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

The first DLC for DW2 is out. How underwhelming it is. You get to pay $10 for nothing more than two races. I never thought I would see Matrix follow the Paradox model of "soak our customers for all they are worth" model of DLC rip-offs. I guess I should have expected it as they ignored their loyal direct customer base in providing betas in favor of the Steam base. I did not mind paying for the expansions in DW-1 because they added quite a bit each time, but this...wow. Eventually, DW-1 became a good game after a rocky start. I don't know if I can stomach paying for DW2 development if Matrix is going down the road it appears to. Grossly disappointed in the signal it is sending.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

That is unfortunate.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll stay away. 

In order to justify adding 2 races to the base game via a paid for DLC there must be more to the game than just clicking on Auto Manage while watching DASTactic video tutorials on how to play DW2 in full automated mode.

That being said however, DW2 does fit the bill for when you need to play a game but not have to think too much, such as at the end of a long day.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Well, take a look at the sales blurbs for yourself. Maybe someone can see some upside. I really WANT this game to be good. DW1 was really, really good.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

I've got both DW1 and DW2.  They both are indeed good games IMHO.  I agree with you though, DW1 was really, really, really, good and DW2 is good. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

SirAndrewD

Try as I might I haven't been able to ever get into DW 2.

I don't know why.  It doesn't look like this DLC is going to help matters.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

joram

Quote from: solops on March 16, 2023, 12:00:38 PMThe first DLC for DW2 is out. How underwhelming it is. You get to pay $10 for nothing more than two races. I never thought I would see Matrix follow the Paradox model of "soak our customers for all they are worth" model of DLC rip-offs. I guess I should have expected it as they ignored their loyal direct customer base in providing betas in favor of the Steam base. I did not mind paying for the expansions in DW-1 because they added quite a bit each time, but this...wow. Eventually, DW-1 became a good game after a rocky start. I don't know if I can stomach paying for DW2 development if Matrix is going down the road it appears to. Grossly disappointed in the signal it is sending.

Oh they turned to the dark side ages ago.  There was a time I bought almost every game they published but significantly slowed down when they moved to that model.  I have DW2 but probably won't be getting DLC until I start seeing bulk sales ( a la Stellaris).  And if they never do, then probably will never buy. 

Tanaka

Quote from: solops on March 16, 2023, 12:00:38 PMThe first DLC for DW2 is out. How underwhelming it is. You get to pay $10 for nothing more than two races. I never thought I would see Matrix follow the Paradox model of "soak our customers for all they are worth" model of DLC rip-offs. I guess I should have expected it as they ignored their loyal direct customer base in providing betas in favor of the Steam base. I did not mind paying for the expansions in DW-1 because they added quite a bit each time, but this...wow. Eventually, DW-1 became a good game after a rocky start. I don't know if I can stomach paying for DW2 development if Matrix is going down the road it appears to. Grossly disappointed in the signal it is sending.

I don't disagree with you and I think it should have been at least 3 new races but apparently the race animations and 3D ships for every race take a lot more work this time around as opposed to DWU. So they are separating the races into smaller DLC and then doing bigger expansions separately...

If you already own DW2 you can get a bundled discount on Steam so the cost will be $8.99.

FarAway Sooner

I thought I wrote a blurb on this, but apparently not.

As with all such firms, they're trying to find the sweet spot between providing good value to customers and maximizing revenue.  And, as with all such buyers, we're free in choosing to spend or not spend our money on that product.  Such is the free market!

I think DW2 is a good game.  I also think it's really easy, when we compare it DWU, to remember that DWU wasn't a single game either.  It was a single game (released in 2010) with 3 additional expansions (released in 2010, 2013, and 2014) that the benefit of 4 years polishing along the way.

I agree with those who say it's not yet as polished as the original.  I wouldn't expect it to be.  It is, in many other regards, already as good.  I'm enjoying it. 

While the initial release suffered from some really bad graphics driver bugs, Eric and the devs have admitted as much.
 I appreciate the numerous free updates that have gone far beyond fixing it.  I hope the game makes enough money to keep getting more and more updates.

I love the game greatly, but am unlikely to buy this first DLC any time soon.  I'm still trying to master playing the Humans at Basic Difficulty.

Fetrik

I played about 5 hours yesterday for the first time since the release. The game has come a long way from where it started.

While race dlc might be underwhelming or offensive to some, they're optional. I for one appreciate that the game continues to evolve and be improved for the benefit of all without forcing anyone to pay for new features.

bobarossa

Quote from: Tanaka on March 18, 2023, 12:29:43 AMI don't disagree with you and I think it should have been at least 3 new races but apparently the race animations and 3D ships for every race take a lot more work this time around as opposed to DWU. So they are separating the races into smaller DLC and then doing bigger expansions separately...

Given I don't care about race animations nor 3D ships this is disappointing.  Much like the whole game.  I haven't played since the first week it came out.  Didn't have any tech problems.  It just didn't seem like an improvement in play over DWU.

rwenstrup

Removed

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on March 18, 2023, 08:40:44 AM
Quote from: Tanaka on March 18, 2023, 12:29:43 AMI don't disagree with you and I think it should have been at least 3 new races but apparently the race animations and 3D ships for every race take a lot more work this time around as opposed to DWU. So they are separating the races into smaller DLC and then doing bigger expansions separately...

Given I don't care about race animations nor 3D ships this is disappointing.  Much like the whole game.  I haven't played since the first week it came out.  Didn't have any tech problems.  It just didn't seem like an improvement in play over DWU.

While I can't guaranty your feelings will change, it has been drastically improved since the first week of release. I thought it was a total dud when it came out. It was my biggest disappointment of the year. I've recently given it another shot and have enjoyed it much more.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 18, 2023, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on March 18, 2023, 08:40:44 AM

While I can't guaranty your feelings will change, it has been drastically improved since the first week of release. I thought it was a total dud when it came out. It was my biggest disappointment of the year. I've recently given it another shot and have enjoyed it much more.

I feel much the same as Bobarossa, but Jarhead's comment is encouraging. I thought the graphics is DW1 were fine. I wanted improvements in game mechanics. The new ship design restrictions are not to my liking, just as one item where DW2 is disappointing, not that it is the only thing or even the main thing. It just popped up while writing. When DW1 came out, it was a mess, but you could see a good game in there somewhere. I hope DW2 matures as well. But graphics is NOT where I want effort expended. I see DW2 as having a lot more restrictions that DW1, which I see as a step backwards.

W8taminute

Admittedly I never really spent enough time with DW1 to compare it fairly with DW2.  I was disappointed initially with DW2 when it first came out.  With the recent patch improvements plus me giving this game a fair chance, I have begun to enjoy DW2 much more.

I am more appreciative now of the level of automation in DW2 for one reason, size and scope of the game.  Even if you setup a 4x4 galaxy composed of 300 stars there is way too much going on for nothing but a seasoned veteran to handle and manage.  Automation provides the first time player the opportunity to observe how things work.  The first time player can incrementally increase the amount of micro-management they want as they learn more about the game. 

TBS space 4x games allow first time players plenty of time to ponder, experiment, and familiarize themselves with a game.  DW2 is not turn based. 

Yoda said, 'You must unlearn what you have learned'.

Tanaka

Quote from: W8taminute on March 18, 2023, 11:53:37 AMAdmittedly I never really spent enough time with DW1 to compare it fairly with DW2.  I was disappointed initially with DW2 when it first came out.  With the recent patch improvements plus me giving this game a fair chance, I have begun to enjoy DW2 much more.

I am more appreciative now of the level of automation in DW2 for one reason, size and scope of the game.  Even if you setup a 4x4 galaxy composed of 300 stars there is way too much going on for nothing but a seasoned veteran to handle and manage.  Automation provides the first time player the opportunity to observe how things work.  The first time player can incrementally increase the amount of micro-management they want as they learn more about the game. 

TBS space 4x games allow first time players plenty of time to ponder, experiment, and familiarize themselves with a game.  DW2 is not turn based. 

Yoda said, 'You must unlearn what you have learned'.

I like to play on prewarp, starting, harsh planet, slowest research and put the AIs on the same. This slows things down tremendously and thus contains micromanagement. Much more fun to play imo. But of course as you say you can automate whatever you want as well.