Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by Jarhead0331, March 30, 2023, 08:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Could be awesome...but will most likely suck.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Been looking forward to this for literally years. Please don't suck.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Also releases on my birthday  :Party:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Releases today.....seems most reviews in the 7 range although at least one I saw being lower.  Seems like it might be worth trying.

Gusington

Even Rock Paper Shotgun liked it. I will be getting it for sure, just not right away.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

CaptainKoloth

This will sound like a joke but it's not: the Alien game for the Atari Jaguar was actually really solid for its time.

jamus34

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on June 20, 2023, 10:12:22 AMThis will sound like a joke but it's not: the Alien game for the Atari Jaguar was actually really solid for its time.

It was one of the few quality games on that system
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

So was the Aliens game for the C64.

I even recorded what we'd now call a "Let's Play" of its campaign, on a VHS tape, so I could watch it like a movie.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Speaking of LPs, Rimmy Downunder livestreamed a 3+hour multiplayer marathon of the game recently. I'll try to remember to post the video later, as it provides a functional demonstration of the game (at or just before release) under actual conditions.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

This is an extremely good game.  Hard as nails and unforgiving, and definitely not focused on outright action due to limited supplies and ammo.  You're better off sneaking as much as you can and only fighting when necessary.

The command and control system is very elegant.  You control the whole squad as one unit and orders are automatically given to appropriate troops when you assign an action.  After the tutorial, the game definitely doesn't hold your hand and lets you approach missions as you see fit.

Despite it being real-time with slowdown (and an option to change it to a full pause), the game gets very tense and stressful when you're trying to balance tasks while keeping your Marines alive.  They don't really automatically avoid dangers like exploding Xenomorph acid, but since you're ordering them around as a unit it really doesn't feel like a game of micromanagement rather than macromanagement.  You're not worried about the exact positioning of each troop so much as the general situation and your level of supplies.

In terms of comparison I would say this game most reminds me of the old Commandos titles and Shadow Tactics, but with elements of Nu X-Com with your soldier customization and the campaign with a death timer and competing priorities between research, recovering wounded soldiers, and keeping your squad supplied from mission to mission.  It's also got a good bit of Darkest Dungeon in there with a stress system that causes characters to panic and break, with the possibility of long-term psychological trauma that affects their performance in future missions.

I'm very early in the game so far playing it on Medium but it is 100% a winner in my eyes.  Very unique, great use of the IP, and an excellent gameplay loop.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Exploding xenomorph acid is rendered??  :notworthy:

You had me at the comparison to Shadow Tactics and Darkest Dungeon, actually.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2023, 06:29:26 PMExploding xenomorph acid is rendered??  :notworthy:

You had me at the comparison to Shadow Tactics and Darkest Dungeon, actually.

Yep, not nearly as lethal as shown in the movie (unless Drake only had a couple health bars left when it happened to him) but absolutely rendered as a chance of occurring.  Also pretty much everything else you could expect from the movie like shotguns, grenade launchers, sentry guns, incinerators, and so on  :RockOn:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd