Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

50% sale on lots of items (not Kiowa unfortunately but not expected tbf)
Alba gu' brath

CaptainKoloth

Something odd about the DCS community. When I play DCS, I have an absolute blast. I'm in these perfectly recreated, button-for-button accurate, beautiful VR cockpits of all these aircraft. To me, it's the game we all imagined we were playing as we squinted at fuzzy 320x200 Tornado cockpits in the 1980s. On those rare occasions when I actually get time to play for a bit, it's borderline euphoria.

If I make the mistake of reading anything online about the game- whether in the ED forums, Reddit, or even that repository of great intellectual magnum opi (YouTube comments), the narrative is: The sky is absolutely ***** falling because Razbam. ED is a scam. They will be bankrupt tomorrow. They steal the customers' money and spend it all on yachts. Everything is screwed upon and broken and on fire. If you even boot DCS your computer will explode, especially if you bought any Razbam modules. I would buy DCS modules BUT PAY RAZBAM.

The combination of toxicity and virtue signaling over a legal issue which zero people commenting knowing anything about has become so suffocating that I'm just totally disconnected from anything not directly pertaining to playing the game. Usually I wouldn't recommend just sticking ones fingers figuratively in your ears and saying "la-la-la", but... the game is awesome. It's fun. It works. Awesome new content like the OH-58 comes our regularly. It's pretty sad how the internet has glorified and elevated being loudly and vocally angry about stuff about which you have zero insight and knowledge over, you know, having fun with games 🫤. Remember when people played flight sims for fun?

Redwolf

Well, in people's defense - when I buy a plane I intend for some of the money to the plane developer. If that doesn't happen I would like to know about it.

I am also with those who say ED shouldn't sell RB modules while they are not being maintained.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Redwolf on June 20, 2024, 05:21:23 PMWell, in people's defense - when I buy a plane I intend for some of the money to the plane developer. If that doesn't happen I would like to know about it.

I am also with those who say ED shouldn't sell RB modules while they are not being maintained.

I even agree with you. My claim though is that that logic shouldn't be extended to everyone out with the pitchforks screaming figuratively to burn down all of DCS in the meantime. I could see how one might disagree, but I don't think it helps solve the issue and that that attitude does a ton of other collateral damage. 

mikeck

Quote from: Redwolf on June 20, 2024, 05:21:23 PMWell, in people's defense - when I buy a plane I intend for some of the money to the plane developer. If that doesn't happen I would like to know about it.

Ok..well, ED HAS to continue to sell Razbam modules because they are contractually obligated by Razbam to do so. No one is stealing any money. Where do people get this stuff from? Razbam and ED have a disagreement about a contract provision and what payment results. How do you know that Razbam isn't getting money from the modules that ED is still selling???

None of us have any idea what is happening (the above was provided by ED and Razbam is regards to why modules continue to sell...Razbam needs the money). The issue with the Mirage g-limiter was fixed by Razbam. There is a fox for the F-15E radar as well.

Every few days, I turn on my system, fire up my VR and DCS. Sometimes I hop into a Phantom and enjoy great Cold War. Sometimes I play a mission in the new F/A-18 campaign. And other times, I take out the Gazelle in my Liberation campaign. Every time, I have a blast just like i did last week, last month and last year.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you would let a contract dispute interfere with your enjoyment of a game that is working as well as it ever has.

Dont buy Razbam modules right now b/c although they work fine, they may not over a few patch cycles if things aren't resolved. But unless you are flying the F-15E, Mirage 2000, MiG-19 or Harrier, nothing that happens with ED and Razbam affects you.

I won't even ask why people think ED is going bankrupt....the VAST majority of modules are NOT Razbam; in fact, the best sellers (F/A-18, F-16 and AH-64) are all made by ED. They don't need to constantly introduce new modules to survive...only new players

It's a damned contract dispute with one developer and people think the game is done even though none of us know anything other than what ED tells us. They haven't told us they are going bankrupt so unless someone on YouTube has access to the books, they don't know either
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

^ Only answer I can think of, is that negativity gets views on youtube, which I suspect maybe fueling the drama way more over the top than it needs to be.   

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on July 02, 2024, 10:55:30 PM^ Only answer I can think of, is that negativity gets views on youtube, which I suspect maybe fueling the drama way more over the top than it needs to be.   

There is another answer.

People just suck.  :hair:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

FYI to anyone running DCS with a Pimax, Varjo or Quest Pro headset - basically, anyone who runs with Quadview Foveated Rendering and eye-tracking...the latest and greatest patch released yesterday broke VR with QVFR. The precise problem has been pinpointed and apparently, the guy who made QVFR possible in DCS has been explaining to ED since 2023 what they are doing wrong in their openXR code, but despite this, they have not fixed and the latest patch broke his work around. He isn't going to fix it either as his license expired and he doesn't want to keep enabling ED. QVFR is so prolific now that I don't see how they cannot prioritize a fix for this now.

In order to run DCS in VR with the new patch, you either need to run the single thread version of DCS, shut off eye-tracking or shut off quad views. Either way, you'll take a hit to performance or quality of picture. I've been running in single thread, although this presents some stupid other problems. I just wanted to get into the air over Afghanistan though to check out the new digs...it is glorious.

The bug has really put me off though and I might take a break until there is some feedback on when an official fix might be forth coming.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/353233-pimax-crystal-quadviews-seems-to-broken-after-last-patch/

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/353229-296-quad-views-foveated-varjo-aero-issue-under-90fps/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Also looks like a login with ED is now mandatory in the new pre-launcher.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Redwolf on July 12, 2024, 01:16:34 PMAlso looks like a login with ED is now mandatory in the new pre-launcher.

Was login not mandatory before?

Redwolf

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on July 12, 2024, 03:10:11 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on July 12, 2024, 01:16:34 PMAlso looks like a login with ED is now mandatory in the new pre-launcher.

Not on Steam. I should have clarified.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on July 12, 2024, 04:43:31 PM

It's 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. In the DCS World version you don't have to be logged into Steam.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 12, 2024, 04:54:28 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on July 12, 2024, 04:43:31 PM

It's 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. In the DCS World version you don't have to be logged into Steam.

I thought about converting to pure ED. But I can't go back and was lazy, so nothing happened so far.

I think DCS and I are on a break right now anyway.

Skoop

I have standalone dcs and I wish I could convert to steam.