Main Menu

Binary Domain

Started by Jarhead0331, February 29, 2012, 10:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Picked up this neat little cover-based TPS yesterday.  So far, its surprisingly enjoyable.  The story is also pretty neat.  Basically, some giant corporation is trying to take over the world with robots.  Their latest technological breakthrough is with a cybernetic organism that is a robot, but indistinguishable from a human...think terminator.  Some of these robots have been planted at the highest levels of government.  You play the role of some special forces commando sent into Japan to infiltrate this corporation and bring it down by any means necessary.

The game uses a basic squad command system with the option to use voice commands as a means of control.  There is also a lot of conversation between the player and the squad members and based upon how you respond, your squad members will form their own opinions of you and react differently to your orders.

The combat is similar to Gears of War, but very enjoyable because the robotic enemies literally blast apart.  Its very satisfying to blow off legs, arms, heads, etc. and see how the robots react.

I'm just getting into it, but as far as Japanese TPS's go, I give it an 8/10.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Sounds interesting... what platform?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on February 29, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
Sounds interesting... what platform?

Xbox360...its available on PS3, as well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Jarhead0331

Just an update...I'm still really enjoying this game.  The prologue/Chapter 1 was a good two hours of play time for me.  It felt satisfyingly complete for an opening sequence and I'm really engrossed with the story.  The cut scenes are really neat.  I've met up with two British members of my international team.  They are both former MI6.  We also met up with another agent who is a former member of the Chinese PLA. We've been advised that our French counterparts are in another part of the city, so I'm assuming we'll be meeting up with them at some point too.

Your squad breaks up into two fire teams and before each sequence, you can select who you want to accompany you.  With all the members I have now, I've got a good mix of specialties to choose from.  Snipers, Heavy Weapons, Demolitions, CQC, etc. The Japanese know we've infiltrated into the country now and they are after us so the action is ramping up...jut plain old all around fun so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

How well do the voice commands work? Or do you just use the button commands?

Have you pissed off anyone in your team yet?  8) I read that part wasn't as fully developed as it could have been.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on March 01, 2012, 09:30:56 AM
How well do the voice commands work? Or do you just use the button commands?

Have you pissed off anyone in your team yet?  8) I read that part wasn't as fully developed as it could have been.

I don't have a really good mic for the 360 so I'm just sticking with the button based commands.  They seem to work fine, but other than the conversations, I really do not use them much.  Your team is pretty good at keeping up with you and engaging the enemy independently. I just haven't found much of a reason to use  it that much.

I did inadvertently annoy two teammates when I failed to take advantage of a target's momentary weakness.  I subsequently died and had to start over though and on the second try, I was able to accomplish the task and earn their praise...so I'm not sure how letting them down would have affected their behavior. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog