Chirp...chirp...It's Friday, what's hitting your table this weekend?

Started by GJK, December 14, 2012, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

It gets awfully quiet in this forum some times!  Is it because everybody is too busy playing or because there's nothing boardgame  related to talk about?   I think it's because we don't have all of those pee-cee related issues that those digital wargamers have to deal with every time they want to purchase and play a game.  :)

I'm in the mood for some ASL this weekend and I'm hoping that my son feels up to playing some.  He's had a cold the past few days.  I'll probably jump onto VASL this weekend too to see if anybody is up for some ASL. 

Hold the Line will probably get a quick play and maybe even some Up Front. 

I have a new version of my map for Hitler's War that I want to print out and maybe I'll get that done and on the table this weekend. 

And for you?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I'm off at my son's soccer tournament all weekend up in Virginia Beach.  Otherwise I'd try to get something on the table.  I might dig out Empires in America again, b/c it's solo and I can leave it set up in my office and get back to it as the time allows.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

^Have fun a the tournament.

I am heading out of town to visit my parents for Christmas.  I am taking along Hold the Line and Command&Colors Ancients to hopefully try and teach my Dad and get a couple games in.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

I'm visiting friends in Orlando early next week where I have sent 3 new board games, plus add-ons, to avoid stupid CDN customs and shipping charges.

Will post opening shots in the new acquisitions thread when I get a chance. Don't tell my wife I spent >$180 saving money!  :P

GJK

I dropped off the file for my Hitler's War redeux at the printers this morning.  It'll be ready later in the day.  Here's the printing proof (poor paper on a normal printer).  I'm having mine laminated (matte on top) as well.  This Kinko's can print a map up to 55" wide and as long as you want it since it's on a roll.  I'm imagining all the old classic maps that I could oversize and update graphically!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

MengJiao

Quote from: GJK on December 14, 2012, 07:14:50 AM
It gets awfully quiet in this forum some times!  Is it because everybody is too busy playing or because there's nothing boardgame  related to talk about? 

No question of Surrender:  Ariete Attacks the Freee French Defenses at Bir Hakeim!  a real scenario!  If Hypothetical.

Maybe, just maybe, Saints in Armor: Der Tolle Halberstadter tries to save Bergen op Zoom -- in 1622.

I may go check the French boardgame site that I just found for more boardgame news:

http://www.lestafette.net/t4597-saints-in-armor-gmt-games

Toonces

I don't boardgame as much as I'd like to, but if I have time and find some space, I'd really like to try out Chainmail and Norsemen, which I recently picked up.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Unless the faint possibility of a gaming night happens tomorrow, probably not much on the table for me this weekend.

LongBlade

I will be assisting Daughter #1 in constructing a diorama of Alesia for her Latin project.

She has managed to assemble about 20 28mm Roman soldiers and is now working on the Celts. I have been building the terrain, but would like for her to do some of it so she can legitimately say I didn't do the entire thing for her.

I might just have to break out my Romulan fleet and paint some more on those ships. Getting the hankering for some old school Star Trek.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

besilarius

IN regards to oversize maps from FedexOffice/Kinkos, many folks may be put off by the price of color.
However, if you go really old school, it can be a fraction of the cost.  Have them print it out on their oversize Blueprint machine.  It will come out with no color.
When the original games of Poultron Press came out (oh back in the early 70s), they were Black&White.  You got them that way, and then using watercolors, or inks, filled in the colors yourself.  It can still make a big difference for those with a budget.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on December 14, 2012, 05:44:26 PM
We require pictures of said daughter's project.

This is a side shot after I added some rocks. Will get you guys more as we get further along.

Rekim

I'm work'n Friday nite, then off for a few day. I'll be taking a break shortly to go pick up my newly arrived copy of Blocks in the East, which just arrived from Italy. A local gaming group made a group purchase of it (10 copies). Have my fingers crossed it will play as awesomely as it looks. BITE is basically a pimped up version of Columbia Games - East Front, which I already own and enjoy. If you've seen any pictures of BITE you'll understand why I couldn't resist.

Tomorrow I'll likely finish the second half of the VG Carrier game I have going. Monday I have a FtF ASL match planned. Also, I'm still waiting to pop my VASL cherry. Let me know if anyone is interested in helping over the next week.

LongBlade

Let us know how you like Blocks in the East.

Here's another shot of our Alesia project.

GJK

Quote from: Rekim on December 14, 2012, 08:16:05 PM
I'm work'n Friday nite, then off for a few day. I'll be taking a break shortly to go pick up my newly arrived copy of Blocks in the East, which just arrived from Italy. A local gaming group made a group purchase of it (10 copies). Have my fingers crossed it will play as awesomely as it looks. BITE is basically a pimped up version of Columbia Games - East Front, which I already own and enjoy. If you've seen any pictures of BITE you'll understand why I couldn't resist.

Tomorrow I'll likely finish the second half of the VG Carrier game I have going. Monday I have a FtF ASL match planned. Also, I'm still waiting to pop my VASL cherry. Let me know if anyone is interested in helping over the next week.

Wow, that's a beautiful map that BITE has!  I saw the news that it was being released via CSW digital digest and thought "Blocks in the East...some low complexity barely above Risk type of game" but man, was I wrong!  Horrible (if not catchy) name.  I'll have to take a long look at this one.  I've never played a block game but I realize the FOW is a neat factor in them.  That map makes me want to redesign mine (again!!!).  I'll post some pictures that I just took of mine, I picked it up a few hours ago from the printer and we're setting up the "Fall of Germany" scenario on it now.
I'm up for some VASL over the weekend or even during the week whenever you are, just send me a note or post a message on the forum here.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer