Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteA tug alongside the submarine S-48 (SS-159) after partially sinking in 60 feet of water, December 1921

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteGerman Imperial Navy's High Seas Fleet dockside at the navy facility at Wilhelmshaven, sometime during WW1. The dreadnought in the foreground is SMS Helgoland, namesake of her class

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteUSS Shenandoah (ZR-1) moored to the mast of USS Patoka (AO-9) at Bar Harbor, Maine, 2 to 5 July 1925

Staggerwing

^
When the U SS Shenandoah broke in two during heavy weather Lieutenant Commander Charles Rosenthal organized the remaining crew on board the bow section and they 'free ballooned' it to a safe landing. He would later end up as commanding officer on both the USS Los Angeles (the USN's most successful rigid airship) and also the USS Akron, one of the USN's two 'flying aircraft carriers'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Wing, the airships seem to be your thing. Any books you recommend?

Staggerwing

if you can find it through interlibrary loan I recommend 'Up Ship' By Rosenthal himself. As far as I know, it's been out of print since forever but still a good read. ILL is how I got a chance to read a copy.

I'll throw out a few more titles once I get a chance to go through a few storage boxes. The memory is not what it used to be... though I recall that at least one of my zeppelin books was published by Naval Institute Press. 'Sky Ships' maybe?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

besilarius

Fighter pilots have weird senses of humor.
Gene Valencia (CO of the Mowing Machine) had a squadron boss who disliked him intensely. 
When the squadrom commander was on leave, Valencia put an ad in a Manila newspaper that said commander would pay ten cents each for coconuts delivered to his house on the date of his return.
The commander was never able to find out who pulled the prank.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

BanzaiCat

^ ha, that's awesome!

mirth

besilarius

Same navy, different worlds.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteHMS Rorqual, the most successful minelaying submarine of World War II. Her mines sank 35,951 tons of shipping, including 5 torpedo boats/destroyers, one submarine chaser, two water tankers and six freighters. She also sank another 21,000 tons with gun and torpedoes.

mirth

Staggerwing

besilarius

The High Seas Fleet practicing.  The destroyers and TBDs were trained to pass through the line of dreadnaughts.
My understanding is the Grand Fleet had their destroyer squadrons pass through the bigger gaps between the squadrons, not through the line within the squadrons.

"With your eyes closed?"