Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

An Arado 196 seaplane being taken out of it's hangar.
Guess this is Tirpitz, might be Bismarck.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteUSS Delaware (BB-28) in drydock number 4 at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, 1910

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteScouting Force at Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, 2 Feb 1933. Warships moored are (from left to left center) USS Augusta (CA-31), USS Chicago (CA-29) and USS Chester (CA-27). USS Northampton (CA-26) lies alongside the dock in the photo center.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteDamaged twelve-inch gun of the fore turret of the Russian battleship OREL, shortly after she was captured by the Japanese in the Battle of Tsushima, 28 May 1905. This photograph graphically illustrates the construction of a "built up" gun. Japanese photograph, inscribed: "To the Honorable Theodore Roosevelt, from Lloyd C. Griscom."

mirth

QuoteUSS Florida (SSGN-728) arrives at Souda Harbor, Greece, Island of Crete, 2013

mirth

QuoteHMS Royal Sovereign undergoing maintenance at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, 1941

mirth

QuoteUSS Augusta, USS Midway, USS Enterprise, USS Missouri, USS New York, USS Helena, and USS Macon in the Hudson River, New York - 27 October 1945.

mirth

QuoteMusashi being struck by a bomb, forward of #1 turret, Sibuyan Sea, 24 October 1944.

mirth

QuoteClemson-class destroyer USS Farragut (DD-300) steaming at high speed during trials. Probably photographed in the Santa Barbara Channel, California, on 22 May 1920.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: besilarius on October 29, 2017, 10:47:19 AM
Ram tactics could be very successful in a small engagment.  Fast, nimble vessels always maneuver better, and faster, than heavyweights.

PT109 disagrees.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 29, 2017, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: besilarius on October 29, 2017, 10:47:19 AM
Ram tactics could be very successful in a small engagment.  Fast, nimble vessels always maneuver better, and faster, than heavyweights.

PT109 disagrees.

The ramming part sure worked in that case.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

It helped a lot that Re d'Italia had no way on, being in the middle of going astern.
And PT-109 was idling quietly trying to hear, since in the pitch dark night they couldn't see for any distance.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

8" gun, USS New York, 1899.
The open gun deck kind of freaks me out.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteHMS Hermes returns home to Portsmouth from the Falklands war in 1982

mirth

QuoteHMS Duke of York leads HMS Nelson, HMS Renown and HMS Formidable during Operation Torch, sometime in November of 1942.