Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

USS Iowa in the Gulf of Sidra, 1986. Conducting a Freedom of Navigation exercise

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

A collision at sea can ruin your whole day.  - Thucydides
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Maybe it will buff out?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Ubercat

Quote from: Al on March 29, 2015, 09:16:50 AM
Quite a change from that to the New Jersey.  That's the CL Brooklyn behind your grandfather's ship.

Heh. If that's just a cruiser then the SC's were even smaller than I thought!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mirth

USS Peleliu, last of the Tarawa-class Assault Ships. Decommissioned this week.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

besilarius

Finally.
Now we can all sleep at night without fearing the Gamillons.

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Lemme guess...

The NJ's Wave Motion Guns are slightly smaller than Yamato's but can fire twice as fast.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: mirth on April 01, 2015, 12:03:57 PM

Why? Those were cool ships. I visited one in Vancouver when i was a kid. Got the grand tour as my older sister's bf was Canadian navy. Even saw the command center, which was a mass of buttons and scopes.

What is the replacement vessel?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

The Tarawas are old. Peleliu was the youngest at 35 years old. We still have 8 of the Wasp-class in service and the Americas are coming on line with 11 planned.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 01, 2015, 07:19:03 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 01, 2015, 12:03:57 PM

Why? Those were cool ships. I visited one in Vancouver when i was a kid. Got the grand tour as my older sister's bf was Canadian navy. Even saw the command center, which was a mass of buttons and scopes.

I saw one steaming into port in San Diego when I was 17. I thought she was huge....then I realized she wasn't even a fleet carrier, LOL.

mirth

They're roughly the same size of a WW2 Fleet carrier or the 'Fleet' carriers of other modern navies. So not as big as super carrier, but still pretty damn big.

That's the truly amazing thing about the USN. It maintains a group of 'assault ships' which is pretty much an auxiliary carrier force that is still larger than the carrier force of any other navy.

Centurion40

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on April 01, 2015, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 01, 2015, 07:19:03 PM

The America class: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/America-class_amphibious_assault_ship

Could you talk to someone about building an extra one, then let it "fall-off-the-truck" for us... out of pity?

Any time is a good time for pie.

Windigo

I hear we got one sub now that can actually fire torpedos
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.