Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 15, 2015, 06:18:09 PM
Is that just before the USS Boise put a couple of Mk48s into Kuznetsov and sent her down into the icy North Atlantic deep?

Exactly  >:D
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteLAKE ERIE CLASS (CV) Rough outline of the hull plan showing the conversion of the Iowa Class battleship hull into a carrier.

QuoteAfter the loss of so many carriers in the early part of the war and the pressing need for many more a study was undertaken to possibly convert the then building Iowa Class battleships into aircraft carriers much along the lines of the Independence Class (CVL) carriers that were built on Light Cruiser Hulls. The swift building program of the Essex Class carries made this unnecessary so the project was dropped.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Mr. Bigglesworth

Is that just before the USS Boise put a couple of Mk48s into Kuznetsov and sent her down into the icy North Atlantic deep?

Wasnt that sold to India or Brazil?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 16, 2015, 11:46:32 AM

Wasnt that sold to India or Brazil?

Kuznetsov is still in Russian service. Baku was sold to India, but that was an old Kiev-class.

Varyag was the other ship in the Kuznestov-class, but it was never completed/commissioned by the Russians. The Chienese bought, finished it, and have it in service now.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Good to know, thanks mirth.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on July 16, 2015, 12:05:26 PM
Varyag was the other ship in the Kuznestov-class, but it was never completed/commissioned by the Russians. The Chienese bought, finished it, and "have it in service now".

fixed
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Well they sail it around and pretend it's a carrier.

besilarius

Don't let them fool you.  We called the Langley an aircraft carrier, when everyone knew it was only a test bed.

And then it became CIA headquarters.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

The difference being that the Chinese are on their Langley and we have nearly a century of carrier ops under our belts.

besilarius

A couple of fellows (from the agency that will not be named) have an over/under on chinese pilots lost in four years.  (This counts pilots lost on the airstrip in China that is painted like a carrier deck.)
Right now the bet is one-hundred in five years.
Are you over?  Or under?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Per Official Chinese News?
Under.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

The over/under is 100 pilots lost? I'll take the over.

Staggerwing

If a Chinese J-15 explodes during a hard landing on the deck of the Liaoning and there is no independent observer, does it make a noise?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Not according to the PLAN.

Mr. Bigglesworth

That would be a kung pao landing.