Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

It's a good thing Nelson rose in rank to captain and then admiral.
I just can't see how anyone can be a powder monkey with one arm and one eye.  Too accident prone.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=240&v=jhiBdgbGLdY

documentary of IJN cruisers.  Some good views.  At the 2 minute mark, a division of cruisers  changes formation from line ahead (Form 1) to line abreast.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteThe Italian submarine ITS Salvatore Todaro (S 526) at Naval Station Mayport, the first visit by an Italian submarine to the United States since World War II.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

That thing looks tiny. I imagine the Atlantic crossing was a little long and cramped.

mirth

Those Type 212s have a very small crew complement. And from what I've read, surprisingly decent accommodations. Still you probably go a little stir crazy after awhile.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

Crew is 5 officers and 22 O/R from what I read.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

that cant be it surely!

there most be shit loads still submerged - its almost a mini sub

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

QuoteHMS Iron Duke Vertical Seawolf launch

mirth

QuoteUSS George Washington (CVN-73) underway in the Pacific Ocean. Sept. 2015.

mirth

QuoteUSS Albany, CG-10 in Barcelona, 1979

mirth

Predreadnought SMS Schlesien

besilarius

A little love letter from Bob Kane, creator of Batman, to the USS Iowa.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteUSS Lafayette (SSBN-616) with extended telemetry mast used for Poseidon missile tests, ca. 1975.

mirth

QuoteHMS Ark Royal leaving Gibraltar for the last time, wearing her paying off pennant, 2nd October 1978.