Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

USS Maddox during Halsey's Typhoon, 17 December, 1944.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Dead Man's turret on Seydlitz.  Queen Mary put a 13.5 thru the barbette of the aft superfiring turret, killing about 150 men. 

At Dogger Bank, Lion put a 13.5 into the deck at the base of the barbette, also killing about 150 men in the same turret.
German ammunition burned instead of exploding, which is why Seydlitz made it home.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on December 07, 2015, 06:19:59 PM
Zumwalt in sea trials.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/12/07/largest-destroyer-built-navy-headed-sea-testing/76919816/

TBH, I'm still not sure why the Zumwalt Class are considered destroyers since they are the size of the pocket battleship Graff Spee. Still, if the Japanese can call something that launches aircraft and is the size of WW2's USS Enterprise a 'helicopter destroyer' I guess we can join in on the rebranding as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

Walk Softly, and Carry a Big Stick.
The Great White Fleet departs Hampton Roads.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Primer man on center gun of an Iowa 16" turret.  The gun's breech is above him.
The red line behind him was called the recoil line.  If you were even with the line, or worse in front of it, when the gun fired, you would not be in good condition.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Hercules is the last steam tug in America.  Video of her trip across San Francisco Bay.  Good view of boilers and reciprocating engines.  All ships used to work like this.

https://www.facebook.com/richard.everett.3998

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

X  turret, HMS Tiger after Jutland

"With your eyes closed?"

Airborne Rifles

Old Soviet navy vs. new Russian navy.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

The end of Exeter.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Portsmouth harbor, 1919.  Royal Sovereign and Victory

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Floating Dock, Deptford, London.  Approx 1845.

"With your eyes closed?"