Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

It's also standing directly over the vertical launch system
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteElectric Boat workers prepare Virginia-class attack submarine USS Illinois (SSN-786) for rollout. July 2015.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteUSCGC Mellon firing RGM-84 Harpoon

Mellon was modernized from 1985 to 1989. She was the first and only USCG cutter to be fitted with the Harpoon missile, test firings were also conducted in January 1990. She also received an anti-submarine warfare suite including the AN/SQS-26 sonar and Mark 46 torpedoes. The ASW suite and Harpoon capability were removed due to fiscal constraints, but served as a proof of capability for all USCG cutters.

mirth

From reddit:

QuoteBoaters and sailors of Reddit, what is the scariest or most unexplainable thing you've experienced at sea?

QuoteEx Navy, Spruance class destroyer sailor. First was a rudder sticking and a collision at sea with a tanker during an underway replenishment. 2nd would be our CO cutting across the bow of not one, but TWO aircraft carriers and almost causing a carrier - destroyer collision. Spoilers, destroyers don't win those. 3rd was trying to outrun a hurricane in the South China sea. We were taking 35 degree rolls, the waves were cresting over the bridge, some were 35 ft plus. I almost know how they felt in A Perfect Storm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2fdon4/boaters_and_sailors_of_reddit_what_is_the/ck8dfo5?context=3

mirth

QuoteNine Flat Tops at US Navy base Naval Station Norfolk, December 20, 2012

QuoteFrom bottom to top, front to back, or left to right:

Aircraft carrier DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER (CVN 69)

Aircraft carrier GEORGE H. W. BUSH (CVN 77)

Aircraft carrier ENTERPRISE (CVN 65)

Amphibious assault ship BATAAN (LHD 5)

Aircraft carrier ABRAHAM LINCOLN (CVN 72)

Aircraft carrier HARRY S TRUMAN (CVN 75)

Amphibious assault ship WASP (LHD 1)

Amphibious assault ship KEARSARGE (LHD 3)

Amphibious landing platform dock NEW YORK (LPD 21)

A T-AKE dry cargo ammunition ship

Amphibious assault ship IWO JIMA (LHD 7)

and various cruisers, destroyers, frigates and submarines of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

Barthheart

Nice to have them all lined up like that....  ???

JudgeDredd

I hope there's plenty of AA around  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

At least they remembered to deploy the torpedo nets this time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Someone remembered how the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

besilarius

Yeah, but they tore down the DesSub Pub that used to be to the right.
A tragedy.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

Every time a pub closes, an angel loses its wings.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

ooooohhh. Is that a Victor? That is a sexy sub

mmm...it could be an Akula  :-[

Reading on wiki, I would imagine it's an Akula, given it has two rows of 4 tubes.
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

So, the Russians don't trust their sailors to get their subs from one base to another over a distance of 10,000 KM
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I think it's more that they don't trust the subs to make it.