Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteVirginia-class attack submarine Minnesota (SSN-783) under construction in 2012.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

IJN heavy cruiser Nachi under carrier air attack.  Sunk later that day in the Philippines.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

HMS Gloucester under stuka attack off Crete.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Rough day at the office.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Littorio class Italian Battleship engages the Royal Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krFxUrZsYqw

A clip from Roberto Rosellini's1941 movie, La Nave Bianca.
The internal shots are very good.  A noticeable difference with US practice is the lack of sound powered phones.

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteLaunch of USS Washington (BB-47) - she would never be completed and was ultimately sunk as a gunnery target in 1924.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteHMS Victorious at Pearl Harbor, 1943.

mirth

QuoteUSS ENGLISH (DD-696) steams in the China Sea with USS HANCOCK (CV-19) and other units of the Third Fleet, circa January 1945.

mirth

QuoteTF 77 steaming in formation in the South China Sea, 21 January 1966. Carriers present are (l-r): USS Kitty Hawk (CVA-63), USS Hancock (CVA-19), USS Ranger (CVA-61), USS Hornet (CVS-12). USS Oklahoma City (CLG-5) and another CLG are in the center with DD's in column formation.

mirth

QuoteSeawater spills over the fantail of USS Iowa (BB-61) during high power maneuvers in shallow waters at Chesapeake Bay, VA, 19 November 1985.

mirth

QuoteHeavy-lift vessel MV BLUE MARLIN delivers the damaged USS COLE (DDG-67) to Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, Mississippi, 2000.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on August 30, 2016, 11:31:38 AM
QuoteHeavy-lift vessel MV BLUE MARLIN delivers the damaged USS COLE (DDG-67) to Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, Mississippi, 2000.

The aquatic version of a Dragon Wagon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Intrepid's last shot

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteA MK-23 16 in. nuclear projectile for use on Iowa-class battleships

QuoteA total of fifty Mark 23 "Katie" nuclear projectiles were produced during the 1950s with development starting in 1952 and the first service projectile being delivered in October 1956. USS New Jersey and USS Wisconsin had an alteration made to Turret II's magazine to incorporate a secure storage area for these projectiles. USS Missouri was not so altered as she had been placed in reserve in 1955. This secure storage area could contain ten nuclear shells plus nine Mark 24 practice shells. These nuclear projectiles were all withdrawn from service by October 1962 with none ever having been fired from a gun. It is not clear whether or not any of the battleships ever actually carried a nuclear device onboard, as the US Navy routinely refuses to confirm or deny which ships carry nuclear weapons. At least one Mark 23 shell body still exists at the National Atomic Museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

mirth

QuoteUSS Zumwalt departs Bath Iron Works on her way to Baltimore.