DEMO - Regiments - Single player RTS, cold war - Very WARGAME Eugen like.

Started by Destraex, June 24, 2020, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

This game really got me excited before I found out it was single player only.
But it looks very good and I will play the demo anyways.

Edit: After playing the demo I found it very enjoyable. It feels like the original Wargame European Escalation. It has an A\b\c phase thing going, where after time or points or something I have not spent the time to figure out yet with my one game, where it offers you a choice of battlegroups to bring on at junctions. Points still control what you can bring on though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Destraex

Destraex

Above screenshots are from my playing the demo. Just to give some context.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks, wasn't aware of this one....just curious, it really does look like the other games----are they claiming to do anything really different than the others?  I'll try the demo tonight, but was just curious what makes this different/unique, if at all.

Jarhead0331

I have the same question. There is another one called Cold Wargame coming out soon that also looks exactly like Wargame. There is no real indication as to what makes it different.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 24, 2020, 06:59:07 AM
Thanks, wasn't aware of this one....just curious, it really does look like the other games----are they claiming to do anything really different than the others?  I'll try the demo tonight, but was just curious what makes this different/unique, if at all.

The game approaches things in a much more abstract way with less detail than wargame does. You bring out squads including tanks as complete units. Infantry behaviour is very basic but makes sense. Terrain is very flat on the only map available. The game is very intuitive and easy to play. From what I have seen it's easier to use tactics and strategy as it is not as rushed as wargame on normal speeds because units are large and self contained.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 24, 2020, 07:38:04 AM
I have the same question. There is another one called Cold Wargame coming out soon that also looks exactly like Wargame. There is no real indication as to what makes it different.

Yeah cold wargame is single player as well. WAIT one: MP will be done in release version. Well that's something. Off I go to check this in more detail.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1047210/discussions/0/1628539187757193934/

Destraex

Jarhead, colour me interested. Looks like it may be a Russian dev team that like Fractions :P

The_Admiral

I talked with the designer of Regiments, really respect the guy.
It's not a Wargame clone, more of an interesting take on Wargame having a baby with World in Conflict.

I explain: the scale is a bit different. It is actually a clever re-invention of the genre by mixing the mechanics of Wargame, World in Conflict, Ground Control and even Company of Heroes from what I understand (haven't played the latter). To me the whole system does remind me very fondly of Ground Control.

You get to choose your main unit (like Wargame), but then your reinforcements come in waves (like the dropships in Ground Control) and in "battlegroups" (instead of single units like Wargame), while the scale is that of platoons (like in Ground Control), so you end up with some sort of dynamic deck that you can adapt to your plans and the current tactical situation. These battlegroups also come with different special actions (like World in Conflict). More than Wargame, the game emphasizes unit conservation (like Company of Heroes) and will allow you to R&R fully - or to even recover your lost units as long as you spend the points. These points are ticking according to your control of objectives (like Wargame) but you capture an objective only after a certain time spent on it either capturing it from neutral or turning it then capturing it if occupied by the enemy (like in Company of Heroes).
So, a lot of different influences put together in a very well-thought design that emphasizes combined arms - it feels balanced and efficient. Me likes. Loads of potential, loads of sweat expanded on the side of the designer, I dig that too.

Regarding the team of Cold War Game, I have nothing against them, the result is pretty neat - but as a designer I am a bit shocked that they make sure never to mention Wargame as an inspiration, perhaps for legal reasons, while still calling their game the way they do, which I don't find very classy. I wish them luck.

Toonces

That game looks exactly like Wargame: EE. 

I might have to give it a try, though.  Man, I wish I could play EE and the rest of the Wargame series, but I just can't think and click fast enough to play it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Quote from: Toonces on June 24, 2020, 09:50:05 AM

I might have to give it a try, though.  Man, I wish I could play EE and the rest of the Wargame series, but I just can't think and click fast enough to play it.

This one slows down too. And again don't let the looks cheat you, it plays absolutely not like Wargame - darn there's a free demo people, why don't you give it a run for its money (that is zero dollars!)  ^-^

CJReich46

Quote from: Toonces on June 24, 2020, 09:50:05 AM

You and me both. The demo does have slow down and orders when paused. The tutorial is very clear, some parts are fuzzy though. It took me a while to grasp that "Oh I need points to deploy this..." or "I need points for this..."

But it is well done. I didn't see any weird glitches. I wonder if they can enlarge the mini map so if I'm paused I can look at the map and see my objectives. Another would be if you double click it zooms to that unit.  All in all, I did like it.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

IICptMillerII

I love seeing more modern wargames, especially ones set during the later years of the Cold War. I haven't had a chance to try the demo for Regiments out yet, but I do think what I've seen so far is promising. I like that it is clearly directly inspired by Wargame and World in Conflict (two of my favorite games) but is not a copy clone of either. My only real concern is that it looks to be more arcade than not. Kind of hypocritical of me seeing as I just said I love World in Conflict, a very arcade game, but in my defense I love that game for the single player story complimented by the fun gameplay. And as I said I cannot really judge yet as I have not played the demo for Regiments. Still though, I think it is a step in the right direction and I'm hoping to see it developed more. This could be the start of another promising lite-wargame series set in the Cold War!

As for Cold War Game, I am highly skeptical of it. Most of the assets are literally ripped from other games. Some of the Soviet voices used are ripped out of World in Conflict, and Wargame. Plus, the game itself is literally a carbon copy of Wargame, just set a few years earlier. I'm surprised it has not been shut down for copyright infringement yet, and am still convinced it will be once it is released. Plus, I don't like the time period they focused on, and a lot of the gameplay I have seen so far appears paper thin at best. For example, I've seen M113's destroyed by enemy BMP's even though the M113's were behind a full sized building. Stuff like that. Very skeptical.