D&D Basic Rules Set

Started by Bison, May 16, 2012, 10:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Anyone play this and have some impressions they can share?

I saw a box at Barnes and Nobles and I would have purchased, but the plastics was missing.  I did look through it and my interest is really peaked.

bayonetbrant

are you talking this one?

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

I still play 3.5 when I'm able.  I'm a longtime fan. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 17, 2012, 06:01:48 AM
are you talking this one?

Yes.  That's it.  It looked like it plays more like a board game than the old pen and paper.

besilarius

Never had it, so this is hearsay.
Was told by avid D&Ders that this was Gary's attempt to lure in all the fence sitters.  It was reportedly dumbed down to sell through Toys R Us.
They had moved far away from the days that you could find Squad Leader at $4.95.  (And make John Hill a personality with grognards.  He needed this as most could not get past his bad toupe.)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Bison

I own all of the original basic D&D rulesets; red, blue, black and gold.  This reprint had map boards and cards.  I didn't really get a chance to look at the rule set and am curious how it compares to the early edition.

bayonetbrant

OK, this edition is intended to evoke. The mid-80s red box, but is 4E under the hood.  The intro book is very choose-your-own-adventure, but is a great intro for the 8-10 year-old set. Once the first advebture is done, the player has a decent L1 character to head out with.  Make no mistake - anoyone over 14 is going to think this is for kids. And it is. But it's very, very well done for those kids.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I guess that good to introduce kids to the RPG system.  I actually really love the old basic rule set.  We played AD&D, but we also played the basic set too.  It was easier to put into a backpack and bike over to a friends house to play than trying that with a dozen AD&D books, dice, mini's and binders of maps and characters.

bayonetbrant

I was always a huge fan of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

An entire game in one book, always great to take on the road.

Double Deuce

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 17, 2012, 08:06:38 PMThe mid-80s red box, but is 4E under the hood.

Thanks for confirming, I was wondering about that. Good thing I never went ahead and picked it up.