Old School D&D Forum game

Started by MetalDog, January 29, 2012, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

VASSAL has built in dice rollers. You could pick a VASSAL module (maybe there's already a D&D one) that we
could log into and see the current game state. IIRC you can password protect a 'room' (active game online) so
no one gets in who shouldn't.

A quick Google-chop came up with this:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Miniatures_Skirmish_Game_1.14.4

Note all the dice across the top of the screen...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

This may run locally. Perhaps you could take a screenshot and post it?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dice-roll/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

MetalDog

That's fanTAStic, Stagger!  Too bad we can't all get together in something like THAT!  With schedules what they are, I'm shooting for something a little more humble, but that's certainly the gist of where I'd like to go.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Quote from: LongBlade on January 29, 2012, 06:48:48 PM
Check this out: http://dicelog.com/dice

Thanks for the suggestions, LB.  It looks like the one above will allow for rolls to be made public, which is what we are going to need.

bayonetbrant

Hey LB - why don't you check for a forum mod that lets us add die rolls to the boards, a la BGG?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Double Deuce

Anyone who doesn't have the 1e books could probably download the OSRIC rules to get a basic idea of how the game works. They are essentially a free, cleaned up version of 1e.

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2012, 10:20:10 PM
Hey LB - why don't you check for a forum mod that lets us add die rolls to the boards, a la BGG?

Roger. I'll see what I can find. The major issue on my mind is security. Loading non-standard code on here may have an impact we don't understand or appreciate. The further we deviate from SMF the greater the chance that we invite unintended consequences.

mirth

Hey MetalDog, I'd be interested if you have room. I've played plenty of AD&D back in the day. Never done play by post though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

TheCommandTent

I would be interested in playing.  I've play some forum based games on other forums but never D&D.  I like to think I have some imagination so I'll give it a shot if there is still room.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Welcome aboard mirth and DJ.  I've never DM'd a play by post, but I'm game if you'll all bear with me.

Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2012, 05:28:25 PM
tentatively interested, but not sure how much time I'll have to play

Yeah, what's the time commitment?
Any time is a good time for pie.

ken ellis

hi guys, I got a huge pile of BIRTHRIGHT STUFF cheap!

the box set and I dunno 15-20 books, modules, etc, all the combat cards etc still unsperated

ifn u need  a list I can compile it and email to you

I wont monitor this site but rarely so emailing me is the best way to swing a deal

kellisnc@msn.com

I also sell on consimworld regularly - note consim is gonna shut down for about 3 days, starting this morning for upgrades

I am near winston - salem and will be in raleigh at the con in april as a dealer...

Toonces

I'm in to give it a go.  I plan on playing some sort of Fighter, perhaps a Paladin. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Shelldrake

Count me in if you still have room MetalDog. I used to play lots of AD & D back in the day but never PBEM. Human ranger is my usual preference but I am flexible if the party needs a different class.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell