Old School D&D Forum game

Started by MetalDog, January 29, 2012, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: Centurion40 on January 31, 2012, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2012, 05:28:25 PM
tentatively interested, but not sure how much time I'll have to play

Yeah, what's the time commitment?

I'd like to see a post per day from players when required.  I'm sure YOU can handle that with as much time as you spend here.  The only other requirement is to type with BOTH hands, 40.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Toonces and Shelldrake, welcome to both of you as well.  Things are rounding into form.  We'll take roll here in a day or two and then I can lay out some framework.

Shelldrake

I downloaded the OSRIC rules suggested by Greybeard. They seem to be very usable. Can I make the suggestion that we use these rules (essentially D&D v1) for our game?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MetalDog

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 02, 2012, 10:11:33 AM
I downloaded the OSRIC rules suggested by Greybeard. They seem to be very usable. Can I make the suggestion that we use these rules (essentially D&D v1) for our game?

If they are the 1st Edition rules, or AD&D (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons), then yes, I'm all for it.

Shelldrake

Quote from: MetalDog on February 02, 2012, 08:54:13 PM

If they are the 1st Edition rules, or AD&D (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons), then yes, I'm all for it.

According to Wiki OSRIC is for all intents and purposes AD&D 1st Edition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MetalDog

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 02, 2012, 10:06:58 PM

According to Wiki OSRIC is for all intents and purposes AD&D 1st Edition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC

Thanks, Shelldrake.  Looks like what I was looking for.

Double Deuce

OSRIC is pretty much a clone BUT there are some subtle differences. For example the Druid class is more restrictive as far as available races you can be. Also, any of the outlandish spell components are also done away with like that for the 1st level Magic-User spell Identify where you have to swallow a live carp as part of casting the spell.  :-)

MetalDog

Alrighty then.  I would like a roll call by Sunday evening.  As we are a wargaming site, I would like to see this campaign have a military flavor.  As I will be the DM, I think I will make it so.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on February 03, 2012, 07:34:24 PM
Alrighty then.  I would like a roll call by Sunday evening.  As we are a wargaming site, I would like to see this campaign have a military flavor.  As I will be the DM, I think I will make it so.

Well Im here not sure where everyone else is :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Although I'm not a huge sports fan the Superbowl is tuned in and we're patiently waiting for the commercials to begin.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

I just found that there's a free live feed on the NBC website. I can watch w/out causing a household tv content crisis.

http://player.nbcsports.com/SNFPlayer.html?PID=61&referrer=http://snfallaccess.nbcsports.com/
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Shelldrake

What if there was a roll call and no one to answer?! Will have to go digging for my old D&D dice anyway.

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 05, 2012, 08:29:41 PM
What if there was a roll call and no one to answer?! Will have to go digging for my old D&D dice anyway.

Actually, you might not. I have found some code that we can add to the forums to randomize any die roll up to a d1000. Give us some time to implement and test it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Here's a website I use when I need to roll some dice. 

http://www.tabletoptitans.com/tutorials/0002.php

Thats right I just rolled 1000 D20s because I could :)

On the page it says

QuoteHere is some JavaScript code I wrote for an online dice generator. View page source ( look for function CONSTRUCTOR_dice() ) to see how it was done!

I'm not sure if that is something you can use LB.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs