Old School D&D Forum game

Started by MetalDog, January 29, 2012, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I had forgotten the Super Bowl was tonight.  Although, I don't see how that could have affected everyones ability to sound off before the game, but what do I know.

A little peek into the DM's mind, I'm envisioning a campaign where your characters are part of and in support of a fighting order of clerics.  You are on the borders of known civilization and are active in pushing back the boundaries.  I've already seen two preferences, one ranger and one paladin, from the respondents.  I'd like to see some more ideas from those who will participate.  I would also like all characters to be human.  The other races exist, but it would suit my idea for this better if everyone played humans.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

What belief system do the Clerics belong to? Quasi-historical or completely fabricated?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

As I have never played D&D I am not sure of the different types of characters you can be.  I am thinking something with skills with a bow and arrow as I've always liked those weapons.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

As for dice and replies.  I'm thinking that instead of waiting for each character to check in when a dice roll is needed, I would like to see each reply made include a roll of each of the polyhedral dice: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and d100 in that order.  For instance:

Gronk the Gimp is holding the rear this turn and actively looking for secret doors.

2, 5, 3, 9, 6, 17, 54.

That way, if I need a series of rolls for the same character, I can go back to previous posts from that same person and add them together if need be.

It's also possible that the powers that be here will add a dice rolling program to the forum software and we can work something out using that.

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 05, 2012, 10:24:29 PM
What belief system do the Clerics belong to? Quasi-historical or completely fabricated?

Completely fabricated.  For those who know me, I am contemplating calling the order the Order of St. Alphonso.  That's not very fantasy sounding though.  ;-)

MetalDog

Quote from: SCDJ on February 05, 2012, 10:25:17 PM
As I have never played D&D I am not sure of the different types of characters you can be.  I am thinking something with skills with a bow and arrow as I've always liked those weapons.

Fighters, Rangers and Thieves I believe are the only classes that would use bow and arrows.  I think Paladins can, but it is beneath them.

Staggerwing

How about the Order of St. Alphonso the Otherworldly?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on February 05, 2012, 10:31:56 PM

Fighters, Rangers and Thieves I believe are the only classes that would use bow and arrows.  I think Paladins can, but it is beneath them.

A Fighter or Ranger sounds good to me.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 05, 2012, 10:33:13 PM
How about the Order of St. Alphonso the Otherworldly?

That might work.  I'll give it some thought :-)

Staggerwing

What human characters fight primarily with axes or hammers?

MetalDog

Quote from: SCDJ on February 05, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 05, 2012, 10:31:56 PM

A Fighter or Ranger sounds good to me.

In actuality, I would like to see the party consist of mostly fighter types and clerics.  Magic users are weak at low levels and thieves have everyone with an eye on their gold instead of two on the enemy.

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 05, 2012, 10:36:01 PM

Axes and hammers can be used by fighters, less so by rangers.  Clerics can use blunt weapons like hammers, maces and the like.

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on February 05, 2012, 10:38:11 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 05, 2012, 10:36:01 PM

Axes and hammers can be used by fighters, less so by rangers.  Clerics can use blunt weapons like hammers, maces and the like.

What else do Clerics bring to the Party? (so to speak  :D)

MetalDog

They serve as second line fighters and they are the party healers.

Staggerwing

I'll have to D/L those OSRIC rules to my phone and read 'em on lunch break tomorrow.