Old School D&D Forum game

Started by MetalDog, January 29, 2012, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Sounds like a winner, Stagger.  Goodnight to ya'!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on February 05, 2012, 10:37:00 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on February 05, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 05, 2012, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on February 05, 2012, 10:25:17 PM
As I have never played D&D I am not sure of the different types of characters you can be.  I am thinking something with skills with a bow and arrow as I've always liked those weapons.

Fighters, Rangers and Thieves I believe are the only classes that would use bow and arrows.  I think Paladins can, but it is beneath them.

A Fighter or Ranger sounds good to me.

In actuality, I would like to see the party consist of mostly fighter types and clerics.  Magic users are weak at low levels and thieves have everyone with an eye on their gold instead of two on the enemy.

Excellent, I've never been a huge fan of magic.  I don't mind it I'd rather just play a character with weapons so a Ranger sounds like a good fit for me.

In the mean time is there anything we could or should be doing to prepare for the game?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Toonces

I believe Paladins have light healing powers, but if we don't get a cleric I'll do that in lieu of a Paladin.  I've never played a cleric, so it will be an interesting change of pace.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MetalDog

DJ, you can work up a bit of backstory.  It would be more specific to character rather than place.  For example, Dougal started adventuring because...  Not, Dougal was born in Haven which is located...  Comprende?

MetalDog

Toonces, Paladins do have light healing powers that grow through the levels.  They also acquire Clerical spells somewhere around 9th Level.  However, alignment restrictions for Paladins are fierce.  Lawful Good can be tough to play.  Which shouldn't deter you, but be prepared.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

or, if you're looking for the Big Bang Theory tie-in to go with the other thread

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Shelldrake

^Nice finds Brant. I especially like the 1st alignment chart. It provides some great examples of the different D&D alignments - very helpful.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Bayonet_Chris

Do you have room for one more? I'm actually Brant's DM...  ;D

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on February 07, 2012, 12:08:03 AM
DJ, you can work up a bit of backstory.  It would be more specific to character rather than place.  For example, Dougal started adventuring because...  Not, Dougal was born in Haven which is located...  Comprende?

I'll see what I can do.  I'll send you a PM when I get something before I post it public.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Quote from: SCDJ on February 07, 2012, 07:24:26 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 07, 2012, 12:08:03 AM

I'll see what I can do.  I'll send you a PM when I get something before I post it public.

Sounds good, DJ

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on February 07, 2012, 05:00:17 PM

wait, you actually play, too?  I thought you just sat behind a screen a chuckled while "rolling" dice!

Bayonet_Chris

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 08, 2012, 09:35:52 AM

wait, you actually play, too?  I thought you just sat behind a screen a chuckled while "rolling" dice!

Well, that's 90% of it.

MetalDog

B_C, absolutely there is room for one more.  Sorry I missed this last night.