Share your Screenshots!

Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 15, 2013, 03:56:40 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 13, 2013, 11:31:09 PM
Is the Ju88 flyable?

Yes!  Here's a view looking down into the bombardier's station from the pilot's seat:

Meanwhile, 2000 years earlier on the other side of the Channel, the uncertain horde approaches a low ridge on the flank of a large allied army somewhere in the Ceasar in Gaul mod of Rome II.  Following the gestures of my Avatar (on horseback in the middle distance pointing ahead), this rag-tag force went over the hill and took the enemy in the rear in a wooded area and wiped them out.  It wasn't an ambush battle but it worked out to be one for all practical purposes:

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 13, 2013, 11:31:09 PM
Is the Ju88 flyable?

Meanwhile, at Inspiration Island in RoF (where there is a Russian Mime School according to the Map), the FE2b works okay as a barge buster:

Dolan50

German armored car on a recon mission during a quick battle on the Krasnaya Polyana map.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Silent Disapproval Robot

Some IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad dogfight shots.  The LaGG-3 really is a pig.  It's only advantages over the Bf-109 F-3 are that it's a little more robust and it's slightly faster in a dive.   I've been having a rough time against even the novice AI when I fly the LaGG.   I knocked down two on this mission though so I was pretty pleased.  All I could do against the first one was try to turn into him as he dove at me and take long range shots as we went head-to-head.  I scored a lucky hit that seemed to damage his wing.  I was able to get on his six and get a few cannon rounds into him.  His wing eventually came off and he spun in.  (The explosions in this game are fantastic!).  The second 109 did a diving pass from my 6.  He missed and I was able to hit his engine as he overshot.  He bailed out.

Nefaro

Wow SDR.  Do you have AA & AF cranked up to eleven on IL-2?

I'm so used to see jaggie hell on that old beast and I also recall some odd artifacting on some of the graphics last time I loaded it up a couple years ago.  You using a mod too?

I mean.. it's still not as gorgeous as newer sims but your screenshots definitely do it more justice than most.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's the alpha version of the new IL-2 title Battle of Stalingrad.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 21, 2013, 11:36:46 PM
It's the alpha version of the new IL-2 title Battle of Stalingrad.

It's the new one?  I keep forgetting they're also naming it IL-2.  Just easy title association to grab fans of the first one or are they re-doing it? 

It surely doesn't use the same engine does it?  That looks a bit like the old gfx engine.

Tuna

Are switches on the cockpit 'clickable'? I thought I read they are taking that away from CloD.. I hope not, but just want to confirm?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nef, I think the engine is based on Rise of Flight but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Tuna, the cockpits are not clickable at this point.  I don't know if that's something they're going to implement for the final build or not.  I'm in the anti-clickable camp myself so I'm not bothered by the absence.

jomni

Clickable is better. No need to memorize keys.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I disagree.  I much prefer to just map vital controls to my joystick rather than have to lean around the cockpit with TrackIR and worry about a fiddly mouse and unintuitive clicking interfaces.  Besides, you're just changing the need to memorize keys for the need to memorize a cockpit layout.  Much more memory required to have to learn each cockpit, especially if the dash is in a foreign language.  And you have to take your hands off the HOTAS controls to access the mouse. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 22, 2013, 08:00:32 PM
I disagree.  I much prefer to just map vital controls to my joystick rather than have to lean around the cockpit with TrackIR and worry about a fiddly mouse and unintuitive clicking interfaces.  Besides, you're just changing the need to memorize keys for the need to memorize a cockpit layout.  Much more memory required to have to learn each cockpit, especially if the dash is in a foreign language.  And you have to take your hands off the HOTAS controls to access the mouse.

I'm with SDR on this.  It's just easier to remember a few keys on the keyboard, and even easier to write keyboard shortcuts down on a small list, than memorize the cockpit and what everything does.  It's also easier just glancing down at your keyboard compared with moving your whole head around, as mentioned.  While TrackIR is a help, it still has it's limitations.  One of those limitations is not being able to glance down in the cockpit without moving your whole head.  It may seem like no big deal but I find myself having to move my noggin back & forth way more (which isn't good if you have a tendency towards pinched nerves in your neck).

I do enjoy clickable cockpits for the authenticity.  It's just easier to use keyboard shortcuts in more ways than one.

Tuna

I look at it as "clickable" cockpits allows "you" to decide what you want to put on your stick. I prefer flicking a switch that I know where it is over, trying to remember what @#!$ing key combination did that.. As it is.. with something like WartHog, I have to remember what I setup on the stick to do what. Coming in for an attack, having everything mapped on the stick, that has to do with targeting and firing is essential though.

jomni

Quote from: Tuna on December 23, 2013, 07:04:17 AM
I look at it as "clickable" cockpits allows "you" to decide what you want to put on your stick. I prefer flicking a switch that I know where it is over, trying to remember what @#!$ing key combination did that.. As it is.. with something like WartHog, I have to remember what I setup on the stick to do what. Coming in for an attack, having everything mapped on the stick, that has to do with targeting and firing is essential though.

I never really tweak controls so much unless it is very necessary.  I play so many games and sims to the point that I really cannot memorize or keep lists of key combinations and key mappings.  I end up wasting time re-learning the sim every time I go back.  Clickable cockpits make it easier to adjust for me.  FSX is a good example.  All cockpits are clickable, since most aircraft are operated in a similar fasion, all I need to know is where and what to click when I need to do something.  Transitioning between aircraft is fast and easy.  I can also get into Falcon and DCS A-10 because I know what and where to click.  BTW, did you know that the stuff you do in civilian flight simming are applicable in Falcon and DCS (navigation techniques, radio protocol, interacting with ATC)?

But for Flaming Cliffs, there are so many key combos, some even un-mapped, and each aircraft have their own set because they are operated differently.  Really hard to learn and switch between aircraft.  I can't even get into Steel Beasts Pro. The best implementation of non-clickable cockpit for me is Strike Fighters but as you know, that is not a deep sim.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on December 23, 2013, 07:24:17 AM
I can't even get into Steel Beasts Pro. The best implementation of non-clickable cockpit for me is Strike Fighters but as you know, that is not a deep sim.

It doesn't need to be "deep" in order to be fun, though.  By "deep", I suppose you mean "have lots of buttons to push".  :P

The problem with the Third Wire sims' controls is that you can only have one button or key mapped to each command!  >:(